BB-2 Bluesbreaker II review by Marshall

• Reviewer's score: 4.5 Poor
Marshall: BB-2 Bluesbreaker II

OK, so I went to my local music shop and asked if they had any nice, Clapton-esque sounding blues Overdrive pedals. They suggested I try out this pedal. I used a Gibson Les Paul through a Fender Twin Reverb Amp, which, without any effects is an absolutely killer tone. As soon as I clicked this awful thing to 'on', that beautiful tone disappeared and was replaced by this horrible muddy, distinctly digital sounding drone. I thought maybe the tone controls needed fiddling with to get a nice sound so I spent about 20 minutes messing with all the knobs trying to get a nice sound out of this pedal. End result? It can't be done!

These days I almost exclusively play blues and classic rock and when I tried out this pedal I was looking for a '60s British Blues kind of sound. The name 'Bluesbreaker' suggested this is the sound you get with this pedal. Wrong! As I said in the comments section, my friend was given one for free by a friend of his Who had bought one and lost the receipt. I was round his house jamming when I spotted the pedal sitting in a pile of junk in his corner, when we talked about it, it turned out he hated it as much as I did! He traded it in at a music shop for a Boss OS-2, a good move. If you are serious about getting a good blues sound, this is positively the last pedal you should consider buying, it really sounds that bad! Do not buy this pedal!

The construction is very tough and all-metal so I imagine it would be pretty difficult to destroy this pedal, no matter how much you would want to after playing it for more than five minutes! I would never use it at a gig, though that's more to do with the terrible sound it creates rather than any technical issues.

First of all I would never buy one of these things but seeing as there's only one review on here for this pedal and it gives the pedal 10 for everything, I felt I needed to tell people the truth! Like any other pedal this pedal is simple and easy to use, all the standard knobs, jacks and buttons are all present, no problems on that side of things.

guitarNbass
    I need more reviews! and I would like to know more about this pedals versatility w/ blues. I would like to know more about artists you can imitate w/ using this pedal! Sounds pretty good though
    Maverick49
    Well, you can imitate Eric Clapton, but only if he played through a cheap solid-state amp with had a broken treble control. The pedal's name is quite apt, it breaks the blues when they don't need fixing...