BB-2 Bluesbreaker II review by Marshall

• Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Marshall: BB-2 Bluesbreaker II

Purchased from: www.Gak.co.uk

I am using a Fender telecaster and a Vintage VS6 into a Marshall 100 vs 100 watt amp. This effect adds very little noise and cleans up nicly on very low gain. However when the gain is increased past halfway all trebel is lost and the result is a low muddy barly recognisable sound. In short I hated it. I found that the best settings where drive at 11 o'clock, tone at 2 o'clock and volume ajusted to taist (this is on the blues channel. I use the clean boost now as at least that has some quality to it. That goes behind my Keeley modded ds1 wich incedently sounds fantastic and is worth buying or modding yourself. But don't use the stock DS1 they sound cheep and noisy.

The blues channel is useless but it works well as a boost so I'll give it some credit. If it where lost or stolen I would just save up and buy the mxr/ custom audio electronics boost pedal as there is no comparison. As I said before I would not recomend this but I would suggest getting the Keeley modded ds1 as it sounds like anything from Steve Vai to AC/DC. They also do some good sd1 mods.

It's fairly reliable and I would uses it without a backup. As I said before I only uses it now as a boost for solos and will probebly sell it for a better boost pedal but anyhow. An adapter would be a good idea for gigging as it can run down quite sudenly but it is fairly reiable and works fine in my rig.

This is an easy to use pedal with basic functions. Drive controls the amount of overall gain. Tone controls the diffenent frequencys. and volume is pretty self explanetary. There is also a dial to select boost/blues. The pedal looks as though it could survive a nuclear war. The battery compartment is well thought out though I would sugest buying an addapter as they prove incredably useful.

HeavyReverb
    Blompcube
    HeavyReverb wrote: Jimbleton: Look into a ehx big muff for boosting- the bluesbreaker just doesnt cut it.
    eejit, the big muff is a fuzz/distortion, not an overdrive/boost. IF you have a tube amp, then unless you can afford the MXR boost, the BB-2 is ideal.