BB-2 Bluesbreaker II review by Marshall

Marshall: BB-2 Bluesbreaker II

Purchased from: Friend

I'm using it with a Vox AC15 amp (full valve)and an Epiphone Casino, but I also tried it with a Roland Micro Cube (solid state). First, the booster mode. The first thing I realised is that it reacts to your way of playing: smooth picking, smooth sound, angry picking, big sound. Also, you can play with your guitar knobs, and it reacts as a valve amp would (even on the Micro Cube): with your volume and tone knobs at 10, you'll get a cool Overdrive, with a 5 volume and a 10 tone a sweet crunchy end, and with 5 on both it will get driven if you play hard. Second, the overdrive mode. Even if it's supposed to be a pedal in the blues musical range, you can get pretty big sounds with it, with good gain. You won't play metal, but you can get a cool distortion that could suit some AC/DC for example. With the Drive knob at 4, you'll get the same kind of sound as with the booster mode, but it will sound more driven in general, not just having a high crunchy end. If you push it a little further, let's say 7, you have a cool overdrive that could suit blues rock. And with 10, as I said, it's almost distortion.

I mainly play blues rock, 60s rock and blues/jazz, and it suits me good. I've been playing for a bit more than a year, practising two hours almost everyday, so I got a pretty good level for a year of playing. In this kind of gear, I also have a Dunlop Fuzz Face and a Boss DS-1, and I actually prefer my Marshall BB-2 to these other two. If it were lost, I would probably get another, maybe test some other pedals of the same kind, but I like this one so why not. What I love about the BB-2 is the valve-like Overdrive, it doesn't sound as digital and SS as others do.

This pedal is really well built. Full metal construction, it looks really solid. I didn't have for that long but I think I could trust on this thing.

First of all, this thing is supposed to be a two-in-one pedal: a booster and an Overdrive. The two modes give you a sweet Overdrive, but de booster tone is better, more valvesque. You just have to play and you'll get a sweet crispy end. With the OD mode, it works simply: a master volume knob, a tone knob and a Drive knob. I bought it used, I didn't get a manual but it's not really necessary. You can download it on the Marshall site if you need it.

vickadej
    ok i really like this, but is it worth buying. i mean ive got a peavey valveking tube amp and you seem to get pretty good sounds out of it. i bought a boss superoverdrive pedal, which was completely useless with my amp. i could get the same sound as the pedal by adjusting the settings on my amp.. oh and one more thing. is it like slash blues or stevie ray vaughn blues?
    eblink
    Very nice as a booster, but overdrive isn't that good, sounds horrible with my SG, but works fine with single coils. Very good for it's price. Looks awesome too.