Drivemaster review by Marshall

Marshall: Drivemaster

I currently run my guitar, a Modded Yamaha RGX420s into a Dunlop ZW-45 Crybaby into the Drivemaster and then into my amp. This pedal is extremely versatile, lots of Marshall-y tones available from Blues - Hard Rock right through to Thrash (and heavier) Metal. This is basically a JCM800 (or close to) in a pedal, I got it to imitate some Iron Maiden tones, which it does perfectly. I nailed some Megadeth tones recently too. I primarily purchased it for Metal but, was quite suprised at how well it achieved the other styles I mentioned earlier.

Thoroughly impressed with this pedal, they occasionally pop up on Ebay but have been known to go for anywhere between 30-60, I got mine for a steal at 15 secondhand. Really worth it if you can find it for under 30/40 anything higher than that and you may want to look elsewhere. Overall this pedal gives the guitarist a wide range of tones to play with and in my experience it certainly kicks the tit's of some of the OD pedals currently on the market.

This pedal is easily 10/15 years old and is still working perfectly. It's built like a tank made out of metal (no shitty plastic here! ) however, when I purchased it didn't have a battery cover, through online research I've discovered these were very flimsy and broke easily so that's a downside I guess. It's true-bypass and doesn't effect your tone when turned off, I personally use a power adaptor but will obviously run off 9v batteries, in my experience batteries will last quite a long time, just remember to unplug the input jack when not in use or it'll drain juice. Other than that, this pedal won't shit out on you during a gig/practice.

The Drivemaster is a british-voiced (Marshall... ) Overdrive pedal. It can be used as a standalone pedal for Overdrive tones and can also be used to Drive an already dirty amp. Extremely easy to use. 5 pots; Gain control, 3 band EQ (Bass - Middle - Treble) and a volume control. Like all pedals it'll take 5 minutes dicking around with to get the sound you want.