GV-2 Guv'nor Plus review by Marshall

Marshall: GV-2 Guv'nor Plus

Purchased from: Sounds Great Of Manchester

I use 2 guitars, a Gibson SG Classic and my Ibanez GIO170 through a Daneletro Chorus pedal, the Marshall Guv'ner pedal, Boss DS-1, and a Jim Dunlop Wah into my Marhall MG100DFX. This is a good set up, and due to the inclustion of the footswitch on my Marshall, I rarely need to use my Overdrive pedal, but when I do it gives me a very nice sustian, that does sound like a valve amp trying its best to go up to 11. So I use it for solos - Island In The Sun (Weezer), God Save The Queen (Sex Pistols) and other more classic rock solos. Personaly I don't like to use the pedal for my style of music for anything other than solos and note bassed riffs. Just as it has a very thick distortion effect, and I like a more scooped, modern effect (the pedal was a present so, I would not have bought it for my style of music) but it is useful for solos and if I playerwas in to blues/clasic rock. This pedal would be perfect so a deserved 4 as it's good at what it says it will, it's not the pedals fault it's in the wrong owners hands.

This is a good pedal, just not for me, I lent it to a guy who was playing live after us at a gig and it souded fantastic for his thin lizzy/free/pink floyd songs. So for fans of true classic over drive, this really is a pedal worth trying. On the subject of it being stolen, I think I would buy a super Overdrive by Boss, as its Overdrive is a more modern sound, also I love Boss pedals as they simply look amazingly cool (and ther tone of course).

This is the pedals real shining point, it gives great tone, and is built like a tank, only tougher. It's build quality is fantastic, I mean really superb. It weighs alot (I like my pedals heavy so they don't wander round the floor infront of you) and its single push use is brilliant, the led is well places as you don't break it by stamping to hard. Really fantastic stuff. I have only ever used this pedal via a power suply so I have no idea what its battery life is, but the battery access is good.

When I bought this pedal, I was not the guitarist I am today, in terms of skill or knowladge of tone. So at 1st it was hard getting a good tone out of. So I ignored it for about 1/2 a year (pathetic I know) and stuck to using my Boss DS-1 for my overdrive/distortion settings. Then one day this week about 5 months after leaving it I started using my far better skill and knowladge of tone and found some great tones out of it with relitive ease. The manual had 4 tone setting (non of whih I use) "fat blues," "crunch," "grunge/hardcore," "screaming solo" all well explained.