GV-2 Guv'nor Plus review by Marshall

Marshall: GV-2 Guv'nor Plus

Purchased from: eBay

I use a Fender Mex. Tele with a Seymour Duncan Hotrail in the bridge, and also a Cort M500. For amplification I have a solid state Behringer GMX212 which I really like. I use this pedal for a lot of styles of music, but mostly classic rock and blues. It could be because of my amp, but I found a little bit of Bass and Deep on the pedal will go along way. I never have them over 9 o'clock, unless I'm doing some fat bluesy stuff. I use it in conjunction with a slightly overdriven channel on my amp (usually with Bass for the amp around 6). I usually have the Treble all the way up on the Guv'nor (this still isn't very bright), Mid around half way, and Gain about 2 o'clock. I'm happy with the sound I can get, but I can't get any kind of metal sound out of it. I can put more overdrive/distortion on my amp but if I add too much it feeds back when I Switch the pedal on. Other than that, it never feeds back. Apart from this slight annoyance (it doesn't really bother me because the distortion on my amp is more than enough on it's own), the only other bad thing is the fact it's not good for boosting. At all. If you add it on top of your current setting during a gig, you'll barely hear a difference if you want to solo with it (unless obviously you current setting is clean). If you want boosting, get the Bluesbreaker II, it's really good.

With this pedal, I can play most varieties of rock, funk, blues, punk and all-sorts. Used with delay from my amp I can get a really nice Guns N' Roses sound. I've been playing for 3 years, I have a band and gig quite regularly with this pedal and it's never let me down. You can't do metal with this pedal (although maybe it's just because I've got a SS amp) and you can't really boost with it, but other than this I really like it and am glad I got it.

This this feels really tough and heavy. It could easily take a hefty blow or fall. Tough metal casing and sturdy knobs that don't protrude make for a reliable and durable unit. I've gigged without a backup many times.

It's a single effects pedal, how hard can it be? It comes with a manual with some suggested settings which sound OK. First thing you'll notice it that it has more knobs than most typical pedals. It can take a little bit of experimenting to get a nice sound, but more on that later. It's got 6 knobs altogether: Gain, Bass, Deep, Mid, Treble and Volume. Pretty standard exept the 'Deep' control, which gives the bass more warmth and depth. Overall, I found it really easy to use. Even the battery cover is easy to get off, all you need is a coin.

old_toad
    Reviewed by: Robert_Terry, on july 02, 2005 1 of 1 people found this review helpful Price paid: 82.35 Purchased from: Sounds Great Of Manchester Ease of Use: When I bought this pedal, I was not the guitarist I am today, in terms of skill or knowladge of tone. So at 1st it was hard getting a good tone out of. So I ignored it for about 1/2 a year (pathetic I know) and stuck to using my Boss DS-1 for my overdrive/distortion settings. Then one day this week about 5 months after leaving it I started using my far better skill and knowladge of tone and found some great tones out of it with relitive ease. The manual had 4 tone setting (non of whih I use) "fat blues," "crunch," "grunge/hardcore," "screaming solo" all well explained. // 8 Sound: I use 2 guitars, a Gibson SG Classic and my Ibanez GIO170 through a Daneletro Chorus pedal, the Marshall Guv'ner pedal, Boss DS-1, and a Jim Dunlop Wah into my Marhall MG100DFX. This is a good set up, and due to the inclustion of the footswitch on my Marshall, I rarely need to use my Overdrive pedal, but when I do it gives me a very nice sustian, that does sound like a valve amp trying its best to go up to 11. So I use it for solos - Island In The Sun (Weezer), God Save The Queen (Sex Pistols) and other more classic rock solos.
    what does he mean by solo??
    vantage4
    i believe that by "solo" he means that he uses the pedal during...solos...as in those parts of songs where the guitar player goes for a cool sounding lead guitar part without the singer getting in the way.