GV-2 Guv'nor Plus review by Marshall

Marshall: GV-2 Guv'nor Plus

Purchased from: Johnny Roadhouse Music

I'm using it with a Epiphone Les Paul and a 25-watt Fender. It isn't really noisy unless you turn it up (obviously) and start messing with gain and distortion, but I don't really use these parts a lot. The effect is'nt that noticable, but I wouldn't call it weak, I use it to get a more "warm" sound and richer tone out of my guitar, and, being a Marshall, it does just that. I can emulate a Hendrix-ish sound using this, and, strangely, get EVH's brown sound if I really try, and spend some time fiddling with the edal, amp, and guitar. All of the effects are very good, and they all sound like they cost a rocket.

I play mostly "old school" with a bit of mod rock like Foo's and Velvet Revolver, and it suits them all perfectly. I've been playing about a year and a half now, and I use in conjuction with it: Epiphone Les Paul model, Fender 25-watt amp, occasionaly I go for our H+H 100w head, and it just sounds amazing through my friends 100w, 20-year old Marshall head and cab. I would probably have asked to test it before buying it (even though it was a gift) as the sound it gave me, at first, was a little unexpected, but I tweaked and fiddled and got what I wanted eventually. If it were stolen, I would definitely get another one, but I would test the others in the range first, although this seems to be the best. I love the sound quality it gives to whatever you plug into it, even the most cuddy practice amps can be made to sound amazing with this. I don't really hate anything on it, although the battery life is a little short, and it takes those square ones that cost a lot. I did'nt compare it to any, as it was a gift, but my dad (local guitar legend) chose it for me, so for it to meet his approval is quite amazing. I only wish it had a longer battery life, and if it was lighter maybe.

I would be able to depend on this, just looking at it, there's no icline it would break, I've dropped it many times and it won't break, it's been left out in rain, and, after drying it out, it was fine, no change in sound at all, so I would definitely use it when gigging, provided I had a power lead, or many spare batteries.

The Guv'nor is a very easy pedal to use, it's pure simplicity at it's best, just click a Switch, turn some knobs, and you've a great sound just like that. As for editing patches, I really don't know, but the manual is very easy to follow, tells you what you'll get by turning this, and what'll hapen if you press the big button in the middle. This unit has not been upgraded but I'm sure the manual knows the firmware number.

numetalhead:D
    this is a good pedal. i use it for both my guitar AND bass. i think playing it through a bass gives it a more of a brighter tone. on a guitar it's more like a warmer sound. simple.
    purplehazeman67
    does this pedal have a more classic rock "fuzz" distortion or just a straight up marshall distortion sound?