GV-2 Guv'nor Plus review by Marshall

Marshall: GV-2 Guv'nor Plus

Purchased from: Big "B" Buzzo's

I'm using both an Oscar Meyer Schmidt Delta King and an Epiphone SG G-400. I'm running it through a ten watt Drive amp and a 15 watt Brand-X (no joke, that's the name) bass amp with a Danelectro flange pedal, a Danelectro echo pedal, and a jim Dunlop cry baby wah-wah. This pedal sounds great with all of them, but when you hook it up with a flange, even though it might be Danelectro, it produces an amazing sound. It is a bit noisy when you aren't playing, but you can adjust both the volume and gain to minimize this problem. I use this for that No More Tears Album sound, but try anything else Zakk Wylde with this and you're going to need a different pedal. Like I said earlier, you can get everything from a B.B. King and a Neo-Muddy Waters sound with it, to a Jimmy Page/Alex Lifeson, and even an Angus Young sound. With a little experimentation, you can get a Coheed And Cambria sound as well.

Overall, this pedal is great if you want any kind of blues, Vintage, somewhat classic hard rock, or any kind of progressive rock. I have only been playing with it for about a month and a half, and I used to use a Danelectro distortion pedal, which I found to be quite lacking, especialy in comparison to this. If it was stolen, I'd do what anybody else would do and get it back, the only difference being that I could use this to beat the theif's head in. However, if I encountered some problems getting it back, I'd definately buy another one. My favorite feature is the mobility, especially with the added depth control, and the only thing I could complain about is that it can't do a whole lot of modern stuff. Trying to get a Seether sound out of it is not going to be easy, a Tool one even harder, and a Godsmack one nigh on impossible. But, considering the price, or even if it was 100 dollars, it is still amazing.

As stated in the other articles, this thing could be tossed off the empire state building and more damage would be done to the ground than the pedal. I use an adaptor, so I never have to worry about the battery life, but you would really have to want to damage it, as the only weak spot are the tone knobs. I would never go to a gig without a backup, that's jsut common sense, but if you asked me to do so with any pedal out there, it would be with this one.

This thing is amazingly easy to use. It comes with a pretty detailed manual with four basic settings-"fat blues" "crunch" "grunge/hardcore" and "screaming solo". However, the setting they give you for blues isn't really that great, but with a little experimentation, you can get a really nice, Vintage blues sound. This pedal is mainly for some more Vintage rock, like AC/DC, but it does Rush and Led Zeppeling just as well. I even managed to get it do some metal fairly well. But it is mainly for that somewhat older, less scooped rock, and not Black Label Society.