GV-2 Guv'nor Plus review by Marshall

Marshall: GV-2 Guv'nor Plus

Purchased from: DV24/7

I use this pedal with a Marshall MG15DFX - it is not my main amp and I really dislike the OD and Distortion on the amp so I bought this. I honestly think that, if my main amp (a Vox AD30VT) broke I would simply continue using the pedal with the Marshall for distorted sounds. I use it with an ESP LTD M-50 and a PRS Swamp Ash Special. The pedal is incredibly versatile and is honestly, as said on the Marshall website, like 'adding another amp to your rig'! The range of tones I can get out of it are incredible! It really shines through any amp. On my Vox I use it as a 3rd channel, so I can save a Marshall tone for parts of the song and a clean for the rest. On the Marshall I almost never turn it off! This is honestly the best distortion pedal I have seen which is not tubed!

I play rock, blues and some Metal. It would be fair to say this pedal will not get to metal ranges on its own, but it does get great classic rock distortion and a huge range of Marshall tones from pre-1980. I love this pedal and considering its price, I think if it was stolen I'd just go buy a new one! I bought 2 Marshall Pedals (the JH-1 Jackhammer as well) and I think if I had a choice I would probably have just got one tubed pedal, but for anyone who does not want/cannot afford tubed pedals, this is the one I would recommend!

The casing is sturdy metal and the knobs are all solid and feel like the would be hard to break (I haven't tried!). The button never seems to wear out! As for gigging, I would use the pedal without a backup, but make sure you keep a power supply plugged in! It does take 9V batteries but it literally finishes one after being on a few hours!

The pedal works like a simple amp. There is a gain control, a volume control, Bass, Deep, Mid and Treble controls. There is a very easy to press on/off switch, and a clearly labeled input and output on the side of the pedal. My only criticism as to the ease of use is that the tone controls (Bass, Deep, Middle, Treble) are stacked, so you have 2 controls on one knob, and it is sometimes a little difficult to change one without affecting the other. The manual, although brief, if very thorough, and even contains some really good presets! Even if you overlook these it is very easy to set your own.

joey arce
    if nobs are breaking off how are you all giving it a 9 and 10 on reliability and durability
    Nirvana_RATM2
    Fezzi wrote: With alnico 2(low output) humbucker, can this pedal do Guns N Roses sounds? or doesen't it have enough gain to do that
    I'm using a Epi. LP with Duncan Hot Rods , running through a All-Tube Peavey Windsor ( 100 watts ) and I can hit the AFD sound pretty close.... when my tubes get nice a warmed and the amped cranked Nightrain comes out in full force!