GV-2 Guv'nor Plus review by Marshall

Marshall: GV-2 Guv'nor Plus

My setup is: Epiphone Les Paul Standard --> Marshall GV-2 plus --> Dunlop Crybaby Wah --> Marshall MG15dfx. The pedal works great in this setup! I've read on some reviews that people have been describing it as a 'jcm800 in a box' and thats exactly what it is! The pedal works great for stuff like Zeppelin, AC/DC, Guns 'n' Roses, Black Sabbath, anything from low gain blues rock to high gain hard rock and everything inbetween, you name it this pedal can do it! BUT, if you're looking for a more heavy metal kinda tone, then this propabley isn't the pedal for you, you might be better off with a Boss Metal Zone or whatever it's called. This pedal also works really well alongside other effects, (chorus, pahser etc.) I plan on getting a Boss CH-1 around christmas time (tried it out in store with this pedal and it sounded good). Out of ten I give it a nine, but thats only because I think if it had just a bit more gain you'd be able to reach those heavy metal tones. But none-the-less, this pedal still sounds absolutley amazing!

I play many different types of rock music, mostly ranging from the mid 60's to early 90's and this pedal covers almost all of them! It's truely an amazing pedal and for the price you can't go wrong if you're into the same music as I am. If it were lost or stolen I would deffinately try to get another one! I love pretty much everything about this pedal! The only two things I would possibley think about changing is the way the knobs are set out, and I think a little bit more gain would go great! But compared to other Overdrive and distortion pedals on this market, I think this is easily one onf the best out there and I think you'd have to pay at least three times three times the amount I payed to get a pedal any where near the quality of this one.

Built like a Tank! I accidently dropped it on a tiled floor and not even a small scratch was left on it. I would definatley gig this pedal without a backup, but I would be sure to take a few batteries with me if I didn't have a power supply, this thing can go through them extremely quickly.

It's very easy to get a good sound out of this pedal. The controls are pretty straight forward.. Gain, eq (Bass, Mid, Treble) and volume. Also on this pedal is a 'deep' control, wich is really cool! I only had to have a quick look at the suggested tones in the manual before I found an awesome tone! The only possible downside I can think of with ease of use is that, because two of the pots are stacked (Bass is ontop of deep, and treble is ontop of mid), some-times you can accidently move the knobs without realising when trying to change something else. But apart from that, it's gerat!

NZGUITARIST
    joey arce wrote: if nobs are breaking off how are you all giving it a 9 and 10 on reliability and durability
    Any Pedal You buy these days can break in one way or another. The guvnors are built like tanks but no pedal is indestructible