GV-2 Guv'nor Plus review by Marshall

• Reviewer's score: 4.5 Poor
Marshall: GV-2 Guv'nor Plus

Price paid: € 50

I'm using it with a Crate VTX212B at home. Although during gigging situations I typicaly would use Marshal JCM800's or Vox AC30s (whatever is available at the venue/my amp, basicly). It's not very noisy. I'm not overly impressed by the distortion on it's own, but colouring it with a small bit of amp distortion creates a nice fuzz. I can't get a very usable sound out of this pedal if I'm honest.

I play blues, rock, metal and punk. I've been playing 4 and a half years, though I'm better then most guitarists with twice my experience. I own a Strat, Melody Maker, Telecaster, and Les Paul. If it were stolen I'd laugh at the thief for robbing himself a mighty fine paperweight. The sound even when it worked wasn't impressive. I would recommend most guitarists to buy a BOSS DS-1, I've gigged with people who have owned those for years without a problem... And for the money they sound pretty decent. In conclusion AVOID THIS PEDAL.

It has a very rugged metal case, and metal nobs... My first impression was that this would last the test of time. And then it completely died on me (and yes, I switched batteries etc). So long story short, no, I would not depend on this without a backup.

It's a very easy pedal to use (though for a distorion pedal that's not really saying much surprising). What I will say is that I felt my one was a little bassy for my liking. That the eq made little difference... The middle and treble are effective, however the bass control made very little difference to the rather vanilla tone.

ma_tt11
    Sounds like nearly every review is coming from people playing through crap solid state amps. Through a tube amp it opens up great, I love it. 60 bucks - thats not a hefty investment, turns my single channel amp into a dual channel amp. Perfect for anything vintage, but I play a lot of alt-rock/post hardcore sounding stuff, and it works just fine for me that way. Don't buy Boss distortion pedals. They're mediocre at best - the Guvnor is more of an overdrive, and is a lot warmer sounding. It wont give you death metal, but hard rock is easily attainable.
    MrKnister
    Sorry, Mr. Guvnor! Only 5 from 10 Points. It sounds good, better than the Jackhammer, but it sounded not so good as my Boss, T-Rex and Visual Sound Distortion Pedal.
    SixStringSting
    I think its great for rhythm rock. But for solo, has a thin sound. The treble sounds too much like a "zzzzz".Does anyone to make it better?