JH-1 Jackhammer review by Marshall

Marshall: JH-1 Jackhammer

Purchased from: Big Deal Music

I currently run it in a long FX chain before a POD xt and stero poweramp, it stuck my allmost instanly hoever that it was incredably noisy when you Krank it up, it also it quite difficult in this setup to get enough treble even with the bass turned down and the contor disabled. I've also got to mention compared to other hi gain pedals how responsive it is to your guitar volume and tone settings.

My style is first and formost hard rock to which it suits rather well but with older classic rock it's a little too aggresive and I would like the sound of a bluesbreaker to flick over to for those songs. My only real problem with this pedal is the nosie it produces on high gain and it's poor treble response both are rectifieable with other simple effects or within the amp it's self.

I can safely say that I cannot achive my own rhythm sound or my main drive sound without it. it also seems to take a fair kicking with my practises and gigs and is built like a tank and it's instanty noticeable that it weighs a lot compared to other pedals and can take a fair bit more punishment.

I went out to look for a new dirt pedal looking for Boss and the guy in the shop pointed me to the Marshall display and it knocked me back on the OD setting it didn't like it as much on DS but simply for the OD tone and the EQ on it it was worth the money. I was not so pleased with the included manual mosty occupied with a big long thing written by jim Marshall allthough the suggested settings where quite easy to use for a fairy basic cruch and Drive sound.

Wylde06
    Bought the pedal, used it, returned it. I couldnt get it to sound any different than my Marshall amps natural overdrive...maybe on something other than a Marshall it would be good
    Ad_15
    I have been using JH for tow years and the best world to describe it is AWSOMNESS
    ldl67
    I bought this pedal. I like it because you can control quite a bit, and it can produce a wide range of sounds. It is quite strong too.
    noblin_the_gobl
    Produces massive range of tones, absolutely amazing pedal. If you find it noisy it's probably because you have it at the wrong end of a chain, or you have cheap, dirty pedals before it. Plug it straight into the amp and listen to it, it gives warm overdrive on OD, and tone pretty similar to a JCM 2000 on DS. Most of the problems people have talked about on this forum result from not having it placed properly in their rigs, or having too many gain stages. This is a great little pedal, and for less than 200 you wont beat it for variety. Go get one!
    TeddyRamone
    I have one! Probably the most expensive pedal I have, all my other pedals are crappy Danelectros. When the pedal is on Overdrive setting and EQ is set correctly, you can get a nice sound similar to The Adicts. And I simply love play The Adicts' Steamroller with the JH-1 overdrive. As for the distortion, it has a "OMG-the-distortion-is-wayyyyy-past-cool" kinda sound. I'm so satisfied with this pedal, I guess it'll be years till I get a new pedal. I'm aiming for a Ibanez Weeping Demon next! *evil laughter*
    Xezus
    i have one of these and i can get a wide range of distortions out of it, u wanna play some punk, no problem, wanna play some slayer or Lamb of God, a few twists of the knobs and this thing adapts to what you want, one of the most versitle pedals ive ever had!!!