JH-1 Jackhammer review by Marshall

Marshall: JH-1 Jackhammer

Purchased from: Private Reserve Guitars

I plug either the guitar I built myself, an Ibanez RG321, and an Epiphone Les Paul into a Morley Bad Horsie Wah, then into the JH, and then into my Fender Ultimate Chorus or Garageband on my Macbook. This pedal is fairly quiet, much quieter than the distortion on my amp, though there is a slight hiss. When comparing the Distortion on my amp to the OD setting on the JH it is like Night and Day. However, the Distortion channel is very muddy even when the bass is turned down and the treble is turned all the way up. The OD is the best, you can get a really good classic metal (Iron Maiden, Ozzy, Judas Priest, etc) sound out of the OD.

I mainly play progressive metal (Dream Theater, Children Of Bodom, Symphony X, Kamelot) and I do not think that this is a good match. This is not a really good pedal for modern metal, it is good for classic metal and classic rock. If this were lost and stolen I would probably buy a Boss MT-2 or a Metal Muff, because I can get more gain out of them. I really like the OD, it is really good for lower gain sounds, and when I get a higher gain Dist pedal I will still use this because of the amazing low gain tones. I wish the Dist setting wasn't muddy, that is the channel designed for modern metal.

This pedal is built like a tank! Very Durable (I dropped it once and it didn't even dent, though it did leave a mark in my hardwood flooring). I wouldn't use a back up on a gig, I don't see this breaking anytime soon. It is a very reliable pedal, it even works with B-brand power supply's.

The Marshall Jackhammer is not a very easy pedal to tweak to your sound. The Manual is fairly basic, it tells you what each knob does and has sample settings (do not use the sample settings). When you are tweaking the JH start on the OD setting, it is easier to get good sound out of this setting.