JH-1 Jackhammer review by Marshall

Marshall: JH-1 Jackhammer

Purchased from: Got it as a gift

I have Washburn G-5V guitar with Seymour Duncan humbucker on the bridge. I play mostly hard rock so I rarely use neck and mid pickups which are both single coil..I have used multiple amps with it and it sounds great on every. My friend that plays with me in my band bought Boss DS1 couple of days ago and I totally like JackHammer more... The Boss is kinda too artificial to me... JackHammer.

I play mainly hard rock, but I all-together, I play everything. This pedal completely fulfills my needs... I'm playing actively for 2 years now and I have had chance to deal with all sorts of processors and pedals and in field of stomp boxes JH-1 is absolute leader! I just don't like that I didn't get a power supplier with it and that I had to buy one separately (about 5$). If stolen I'd buy it again (I got it as a present (though I asked for it)), or I'd save more money and buy Ibanez TubeScreamer (just because Kirk Hammett uses it)

I totally depend on it. I have had couple of gigs with it and haven't had any problems with it never. I use it without backup. Before I bought it I used my friend's Zoom GFX5 and I could use it after I bought it but I like it's distortion better so I don't even take this Zoom to gigs, it stays at home. It's built as a brick and I'm not afraid of throwing it at my drummer when he plays too loud.

This pedal could be a bit complicated for beginners to get good sound from it because of the "Contour/Frequency" knobs, but if you give it some time, you can get most amazing sound. I give it a ten because I have found my favorite sound. It's manual is basic, but I didn't expect anything more because it's a distortion pedal and there is no much philosophy in using it. There are some distortion presets given in the manual, but I didn't like any so I kinda made my own sound.

LordArbiter
    In all honesty I wasn't too pleased with it as a guitar distortion, so I tried it on my bass and I was thoroughly pleased - it adds a nice growl to my Fender Jazz. On a sidenote, I've been reading a lot of reviews here and commenters need to take something for what it is and stop complaining if its not "meant for metal". There are more genres out there than your narrow vision of music. Not only that, you can in fact use almost anything for metal...even a *gasp* Fender Stratocaster, (as much as the metalheads hate hearing the word) and this very pedal.
    hiddeninromance
    I wasn't too interested in this pedal, I used it but my amp has a better distortion built in so the pedal has no use for what I do. I really just struggled to get a full sound; it sounded always to tinny, or too bassy; and there wasn't enough sustain for me personally. I just do not rate it; which is a shame because I wanted to. If you don't have a good amp though it's a god send I guess 4/10
    Themaddoctor
    I love the pedal, good for getting an early Judas Priest sound and other classic bands.
    I-AM-NOT-GOD
    I'm getting this, as i believe it can get me the same JCM900 crunch as bands such as Rancid get, can't wait to try it out.
    ayakush
    i don't know why everyone says that jh-1 distortion sucks. it's amazing! suits for palm muting very well! it requires some tweaking but after it you'll get the sound you want!