JH-1 Jackhammer review by Marshall

Marshall: JH-1 Jackhammer

Purchased from: Music Market

The guitar I'm using is a hand made Warmoth strat with EMG 1A pickups (three single coils) into a Morley PWOV (Wah and Volume)- Jackhammer-Fender Blues Junior "Tweed" (upgraded version with jenson and upgraded valves). I have my amp set up using quite a bit of Overdrive on the amp so when I really hit the guitar it makes a nice crunch but when played soft it's nice an clean. On the Jackhammer: Overdrive mode; Volume 1; Gain full: and the rest set to my taste. Its totally silent and the only noise that I get is when I am directly facing the amp but it might be so quiet due to my EMG's as with the pedal on I get no noise no matter what. The pedal has a real true bypass and dosn't affect my tone at all which is very important to me as I still want to keep the great tone I have when it's off. The sounds I get with it are very Gary Moore and Santana esique which is what I want. I bought this as a very high gain pedal as my amp won't do it as the amp is set up in such a way that it will only Overdrive a bit. I give this a straight 10 as it sounds fantastic. My dad uses a Traynor amp with 3 12AX7's and my pedal sounds better than that in my opinon.

My overall impression is that it is brilliant. I play a lot of Gary Moore and Santana and it's perfect for that if it's set up right. If it were stolen/ lost I would definately get another as it only cost 50 and I put it up againist a TC Electronics pedal and it was so much better than it at half the price. I love the tones you can get from it. The only things I hate are the Distortion mode and the two teir knobs.

Its got a metal case so will easily withstand being dropped. The battery life is ages I have had nearly 6 months so far and not needed to change the battery and I'm using nearly everyday. You wouldn't need to take a backup on a gig it's solid.

Not the easiest of pedals to use. I didn't really get the contour or frequency settings. So I just mucked about until I found a sound that I liked. Not the best pedal if you want to quickly change to a different sound due to the two teir knobs and me with my fat stubby hands would keep moving the other setting which was a bit annoying. The manual is very easy to understand and gives you some basic settings which you can then tweek to your likeings. I giving this a 8 due to the two teir knobs which make it a but annoying to change and I haven't touched them since I got s setting I liked.

AlTheKiller7
    Does anyone know what good settings i can put this along with my Marshall Mg Serise 15 cdr ????
    V/H
    I have one and i have one and i gt one of those beginner amp with a B.C. Rich and on over drive you use the frecuency and contor to ^ both almost max you can get it to sound like Randy Rhoads's les paul like or a deep heavy sound set it to < and of course AC/DC >...great for hard stff or blues-eats batteries.
    ayakush
    don't know why people complain about the this pedals's distortion - it's amazing, i know that most of the people just need to switch their pedasl on and instantly get metallica sound or somethin' - GUYS YOU HAVE to TWEAK the knobs in order to get the sound you're lookin for - no pain no gain!!!
    Martineta
    actually the distortion is too bass an muddy like a modern distortion, but the overdrive is ok.. i changed it for a mxr distortion and is more indicated for the music i, like 80s metal.
    jjaw
    Mine just got nicked. Along with two other Guitarists Fx - all of them. Toto: ~1500 blimming poophead that nicked them knew what he/it was going for. Even left two Fender Strats behind. (AT LEAST!!)