JH-1 Jackhammer review by Marshall

Marshall: JH-1 Jackhammer

Price paid: € 20

Purchased from: Huuto.net

This is one of my favorite distortion pedals. It sounds fantastic with my guitars, which have active EMG pickups. With lots of gain and distortion it brings some noise, but not bad at all. The JH-1 is perfect for playing Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Candlemass and even some modern heavy metal music. I never owned a Marshall amplifier so I can't comment on whether a real amp gives a better "Marshall tone", but I can tell you: this pedal sounds awesome!

I use this pedal for lots of different music styles, including alternative, punk, doom, Death Metal and rock. I really like its tone. If my JH-1 was stolen or lost, I might get myself a real Marshall amp to replace it. Or I might just get it again. Compared to Boss MT-2, which is one of my favorite distortion pedals, the JH-1 has a very different sound and its actually a bit more versatile. I find almost nothing to nag about it and I've been using it already for quite a while. Highly recommended!

Like you'd expect, it's Solid Metal and looks very durable. The only thing I might be concerned about is the activation button. I would be careful not to kick it too hard during live play. But it's not a big concern at all, I could definitely use this pedal on a gig without a backup.

I was pleasantly surprised by the JH-1 distortion pedal. It truly gives you the classic Marshall sound and it is very versatile. I especially like the OD/Dist switch, which has a big impact on the sound and combined with some Freq/Contour adjustments, you can go from classic 70's & 80's rock/metal almost to modern heavy metal. Of course I probably wouldn't buy this pedal for modern metal alone, I'd take the MT-2 for that. But it just shows how versatile it is. Mine came with no manual, as I got it used from an internet auction.

chazzyG
    mine just broke after 8 years, its all ive ever used, i no there not expensive though so ill definately get a new one, best pedal you can get for any old school pop punk sound, i play alot of ska punk and i used to run it through a fender champion clean channel with a fat strat,sounded brilliant, and sounds even better through my new hot rod, can sound really beefy, just dont use the distortion side, its wank
    marighlo
    I love my bluesy, rock sound I get from it, distortion is horrible but with my OD-1 Boss and the overdrive of this one in my Marshall MA Series its quite amazing, I would buy another one if I lost this one