JH-1 Jackhammer review by Marshall

Marshall: JH-1 Jackhammer

Purchased from: MuzPro.lv

I am using a 15watt Hartke combo amplifier with a Harley Benton Les Paul (I know, it's a cheap one, but what can I do?). The sound of the pedal is truly as clean as people say. I have never heard my guitar tone being affected in a bad way by this pedal, when I, for example, switch from distortion to clean(whereas, even a GOOD Boss DC-2 pedal always affects your clean tone) I myself haven't examined all of the possibilities of JH-1 Jackhammer, but I can tell you: normally - there's no way that this pedal will affect you tone in a bad way(unless it somehow gets broken). The effects are quite rich, you can do quite a lot of things with this pedal alone. You can adjust mids, bass treble, you can choose between Overdrive and Distortion modes, there's also contour control, that allows you to scoop the frequencies that you want to(like upper mids, lower mids). I haven't really tried to get a favorite artists guitar tone yet. But I'm sure that it is possible with the pedal (especially if you opt to get a tone of a Hard Rock/80's Metal artist), because it's a high-quality pedal for a REASONABLE price. If you would ask me what artist's tone I would like to get, then I would answer - Matthias Jabs, Eddie Ojeda, Mick Mars, Herman Li, maybe also I would try to get Yngwie Malmsteen's, Kirk Hammett's or Michael Angelo Batio's tone as well. Speaking about certain effects - if you would compare a JH-1 Jackhammer with a NORMAL Boss DC-2 Turbo Distortion pedal, then, of course, Boss distortion would be, kind of, sharper, edgier. BUT!!! Nowadays, Boss DC-2 pedals quality has somewhat waned, and that's why, overall - JH-1 Jackhammer is better.

I have been playing for a little more than 2 years, and I am quite enthusiastic about it. I play everything that is Rock, Metal or Punk, and some Blues as well(mostly - Blues-rock). Except Black Metal, Death Metal, Grind Metal, Rap Metal, Pop-rock and Industrial Metal (at least for now). And I can assure you - JH-1 can pull off more, or less, all of these styles. Basically, there is nothing in this pedal, that I would nag about. I love it. I guess, for me - favorite feature in it would be the Overdive/Disortion function. I find it really comfortable. If you would ask me what styles is it best for, I'd say - Blues-rock, Hard Rock, 80's Metal and some Green Day-esque Punk Rock. If it would ever be stolen from me, or lost - I'd buy another one. The only things I wish it had would be - echo(if that's possible for a pedal), reverb and maybe delay function. But that's just because I don't have them in my combo amp. So, all in all - HANDS DOWN, IT IS ONE HELL OF A DISTORTION PEDAL! ONE OF THE BEST EVER MADE!

Since the pedal has got a metal body - the owner of this pedal does not have to worry about this pedal getting broken. Hell, this pedal would even withstand being slammed down from a roof of a 20-story building! You can surely use this pedal live without any backup. Not to mention that you can also use this pedal as a means of self-defense if need to be.

In my opinion the JH-1 Jackhammer is relatively easy to use. The control knobs are, in my opinion, quite comfortable for use(unless your fingers are FREAKISHLY huge). You can easily adjust your sound in the way you want it. If you buy a new, unused one at a music store, in the internet, then you always get a short, basic, easy-to-understand manual, where everything is explained about the pedal and you also get provided with four basic setting examples to get you started.

MrKnister
    I compared the JH. Boss wins. T-Rex wins. Son of Hyde wins. The Jackhammer shall be called Basshammer. The distortion mode just give me bass. not usabele for me and my setup. and its strange if three other pedals work very fine with the rest of my equip.