RG-1 Regenerator review by Marshall

Marshall: RG-1 Regenerator

Purchased from: Curly's

My setup is pretty simple - An Epiphone Les Paul Standard with a Yamaha GA-10 which you can get quite good sounds out of anyway. The pedal itself has 6 settings: - V. Chorus - F. Chorus - Flanger - Phaser - Step Phaser - Vibe They all have the same kind of principle, think of a wave on a graph that curves up and down. But it's pretty diverse if you fiddle with it for a while and give it some time, eg. the step phaser is different because it's kind of like a sound effect for a robot toy (see Throw Away Your Television by the Red Hot Chili Peppers). Saying that, all of the effects are probably better to be used with lead guitar as opposed to chords. Overall you can just get any kind of up-down kind of stuff you want, giving it patience. Mostly it works better with a clean tone but the phaser is good for repetitive distorted riffs (see One Nautical Mile by Bromheads Jacket). Chorus goes with everything.

I play every style under the sun since I heard that was the best way to practice, and have done for just under 2 years. The pedal fits just about all of them, giving that there are 6 six different effects you can just twiddle and you'll get the style you want. It takes time, though, so you impatient people would just shun this under your bed after about a week of trying it out. The chorus works with any style though I don't know what the V and F stand for. I do know that the F one gets the sound which you might get on a song where you play note after note slowly like a bass line. It's nice! The best style maybe to play this in is probably jazz or funk, it goes nice with jazz chords. I do love this pedal, maybe the only thing I hate about it is the size of the button you stand on, it could be bigger in my opinion.

It's incredibly durable. I dropped it and sat around it like AH SHIT but it turned out to have not a single dent on it and the sound didn't change at all; it also takes a lot of stomping considering how small it is, but I only practice with mine and I'm usually barefoot (Seriously though you could wear steel-capped boots and stand all over it all day). Maybe I would use it in a gig but the effects you can use at one time doesn't seem like enough to get as many sounds as you might want so a backup could be in order. One thing you wouldn't use this with is a crybaby because many of the effects are virtually the same as getting a crybaby and tilting it forward and backward continually (But that tires your foot so this is a better option). Dead on reliable though, works all day (Having said that I accidentally left it on overnight the day I got it so I don't know how long the battery should work, I use it with a DC adaptor now).

This pedal is quite easy to use, in the sense that everything on it is clearly marked out with what it does and the knobs turn and stuff. You get a manual with it which shows which way to turn the knobs for different playing styles so it's pretty easy to get the sound you like.

Hendrix_on_fire
    Same here, this is a great pedal and has so much more value for money than loads of other pedals.
    Ace Frehley
    Yeah!I think it was great that Marshall made a pedal like that.I'm thinking of buying it.I was looking for a single flanger but since I'm not looking for a special flanger this exactly what i need.