RG-1 Regenerator review by Marshall

Marshall: RG-1 Regenerator

After using this pedal in several projects I can definitely say that it is fully capable of being the sole modulation source for many guitarist. Here's a short breakdown of each effect: Vintage Chorus Reminiscent of an analog chorus with darker sounding modulation and an overall subtle effect. Modern Chorus - This setting is great for getting the Nirvana heavy chorus sound. Crank this one up and it's warble city! Phaser- Possibly the best feature of the RG-1. I liked it at slower settings for a Pink Floyd (MXR Phase 90) kind of sound. Flanger- A very acceptable flanger sound. It definitely has a classic vibe, but can get a little shrill sounding on the top end under heavier gain. Step Phaser- This is a nice bonus for this pedal for arppegiator-like effects. Vibe- For that classic uni-vibe/leslie-esque tone that sounds pretty darn good. Sounds cool ran into a fuzz pedal. Overall the pedal definitely has a classic vibe and again is widely usable and versatile.

All in all the Marshall RG-1 is a pretty darn good pedal. It's not the most amazing modulation pedal you've ever heard, but all things considered (price, features, usability, etc.) it's actually really cool. I could even see using it just for the phaser and modern chorus modes. If you are a guitarist Who wants to have a bunch of quality modulation effects at a reasonable cost, I would definitely check one of these out!

These Marshall pedals seem to be pretty solid. I suspect you could possibly have trouble with the jacks loosening after lots of heavy use. Although under normal care I wouldn't foresee any problems.

The RG-1 is a fairly straightforward pedal that shouldn't give any old school players problems. Each effect has a speed, depth, and regeneration control. Each effect renders a natural and musical modulation when the knobs are dialed close to the 50%. The depth and speed controls are audible during Live situations when quick tweaking is in order, and the regeneration knob will certainly add a more pronounced effect when turned up. Setting the knobs to more extreme settings can render very drastic modulation effects for creative weirdness. Although I had little trouble getting very nice classic phaser sounds (I.e. Shine On You Crazy Diamond by Pink Floyd) or flanger (Barracuda by Heart), I did have an issue with the markers on the knobs. The pewter colored pedal with pencil thin black lines as markers is definitely hard to see under stage lights. After getting used to the pedal this became only a minor frustration.

-NOFX-
    I got one of these a few months ago and it's brilliant. The Vintage Chorus & Vibe are brilliant. Only thing is you NEED a power supply. This thing will eat batteries.
    lefthandman9876
    this looks cool, i checked some demos and it impresses me, so many options and so cheap might have to go on my list..
    kaihansen72
    good review... it is definitely gonna be in my 'to-buy' list .. but what's the price??
    McJizzle
    Apparently, all Marshall pedals have been discontinued. I wanted to buy this Regenerator so badly too. It was $120 if I remember correctly
    McJizzle
    son of anarchy wrote: i believe GC put it up for like 30 bucks
    that was the Guv'nor II
    K_Cobain606
    I purchased it online. Still waiting for it in the mail. I think without S&H and conversion to the Canadian dollar, it was around $120. Can't wait for it to get here!
    Justice4AllOne
    McJizzle wrote: son of anarchy wrote: i believe GC put it up for like 30 bucks that was the Guv'nor II
    No, I got mine at GC for $30. If they have one, and they're running any sale, that's what it'll be.
    StormJH1
    These things are way undervalued on eBay. The pros don't like them because they're made in China and have nostalgia for the older Marshall effects in the big black boxes. Forget that - this is a 6-in-1 modulation pedal. Very few amateur players need a stand-alone pedal for flanger, phaser, etc. in addition to chorus. Go find this for $50 or less and be happy!