Shredmaster review by Marshall

Marshall: Shredmaster

Purchased from: eBay

Think Jonny Greenwood's scrawling scribbly wirey guitar on every Radiohead album. Think Loveless by My Bloody Valentine. Also 'does' Sonic Youth (they all use this pedal. It's discontinued, very rare - over Xmas they were going from between 70-120 on eBay, they're in demand, but worth it). It's possibly the most extreme/cool (bar Zackary Vex FX - you don't get wackier than those.

I've been looking for one of these for ages. They were discontinued mid-ninties (bloody Grunge) and are quite rare. I was lucky to get mine so cheap. I've been playing a couple of years. I have a slightly modded Fender (Mexican-facility) Standard Telecaster and a 30w Vox amp with a Boss DD3, a rare DOD FX76 'Punkifier' - apparently used by Graham Coxon, a fuzz box that I built myself. Amongst other things, tremolo effects, etc. It sounds excellent with that kit. I should imagine it sounds excellent with any kit to be honest though.

If Jonny Greenwood's have lasted since Pablo Honey I think it's pretty safe to say that they last forever. Battery covers do have a tendency to go walkabouts though. I'd definately gig with it! You can't beat it. I'd gig without a backup too, use a DC Brick instead of batteries, then it won't die mid-gig. Its not massively battery-hungry. My DD3 gobbles up power like theres no tomorrow. On an aside I would advise anyone seriously considering gigging to use a power brick, modulation FX (delay, flange, trem, vibrato, harmonizers, shifters, phasers, etc) eat duracells like they've stopped making'em.

Just check out the reviews on Harmony Central to see how great it is. Also see http://blamepro.com/marshallshred.htm to see what the controls do - stuff the manual. Who needs instructions - play around, experiment. It's grin-inducing.