Shredmaster review by Marshall

Marshall: Shredmaster

Purchased from: Perfect Pitch

I combine the Shred with a G2 Zoom, to add chorus and flanger, and I prefer stage models of Fender amps, so that it combines the clean, smooth feel of the amp, and the, blues power feel of the Marshall distortion. It is very easy to control when playing with a US Standard Stratocaster or a Gibson Les Paul (Custom). Although I prefer the Fender's distortion when combined with a wah pedal, the shreds sound is quite accepteble. I'm a big slash fan and the shred gives me then snakpitt feel for lead solos and busy riffs.

We play blues/classic rock/rock 'n' roll, and the occasional jazz and funk. This effect fits "ME" and my style perfectly. Even its feedbacks give it that solid vintage sound. I've been playing for 10 years now and this is my 5th overdrive/distortion and I'm sticking with it. The only problem is they stopped making it. I started out with a turbo distortion, then a DS-1, then with a dual Overdrive, then with a metal zone. It just wish it had better aesthetics to it, and they would make a new model to replace it. My second choice by the way is the dual over drive plus a multi-effects to add chorus, flanger etc.

Although my backup like I said earlier is the Zoom G2, I still prefer Shredmaster. Although I am very skeptic about its durablility in comparisson to Boss stomp pedals. The Shredmaster due to my experience does not strive well on humid and dusty evnvironments. I'm not sure if the users of this effect noticed but the "nipple" button of the shred is highly delicate to dust. Plus the metal cover of the button is always the first to go. I would prefer to use it with a backup. But not to over act about this, a tip I can give is always clean it after using, and always keep a backup shred just to be sure. It took me approximaitely 6 years before I had to have it repaired. This is due to 3 times a week of playing, and 1-2 hours of practicing. Last but not least another problem of the shred is that the lead light it is almost undistinguishable with a new battery or with a fading one.

Since the settings are very similar to a typical Fender or Marshall amp the design of the knobs are very easy to understand. Every knob especially the contour, gain and volume are very sensitive, so you get a whole range of overdrive/distortion, classic rock/rock 'n' roll, bluesy feel to it. What I love about the Shredmaster is that when I play rhythms, the sound gives it that signature Marshall feel to it, and even if your volume is slightly lower than your guitar brothers your lead will still stand out. It has perfect sustaining power for blues rock/rock 'n' roll. It has a smooth, but crunchy, feel to it that is why it is my favorite!

YourLastAffront
    My Bloody Valentine never ever ever used the Shredmaster, it's a false rumor created by guitargeek. Jonny Greenwood does use one, but with a Solid State amp, they sound better with a Marshall or a decent Solid State.