Shredmaster review by Marshall

Marshall: Shredmaster

Purchased from: Ebay

I'm primarily trying it with a Marshall 50 Watt, and various different guitars, although I like to use a strat most, as you get that certain edge to the sound that I'm looking for. Crack the gain up to 10 and you bet it's noisy! Although, you can cut some of the feedback by turning volume/gain down on your amp, or just turning the treble down on the pedal. There's nothing too special about this pedal, it's a distortion pedal after all. It's a shame it's discontinued, as the sound it gives is priceless. Not for the faint-hearted.

At the moment I'm playing strange, alt-rock, on the lines of Radiohead, Muse and Placebo, and this pedal comes in great for that. I've been playing for 5 years, own 8 guitars and am now building up an effects loop (at the moment I've got the Shredmaster, Toneworks AX1500G and DigiTech Compressor/Sustainer). I absolutely love this pedal, and it was well worth the price. Now all I need is a noise gate so that I can have the gain on full, without having to worry about severe feedback.

I think I could depend on this pedal, as it has a sturdy structure with a metal casing. However, I don't think I could afford to test just how sturdy it is! I tested the pedal with a 9V battery, but it didn't seem to work. I hope it was only the battery, and not the pedal wiring to the battery.

Well as soon as I found out (from guitargeek.com) that Jonny Greenwood uses one (musical maestro from Readiohead) I set out to get one. It's a good job I didn't have a budget, because this beast took a fair bit of money. 120 is about $240 I think, plus P+P. Anyway, I didn't get a manual with it, just the pedal. Fortunately, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how to use it. The first thing I did was whack the gain on the pedal up to 10. However, this gave off some really wild feedback, so now I'm going to try and get a Noise Gate to cut the feedback, unless you like that. The pedal does seem to give a more controlled type of feedback. Google the Shredmaster, and you will find a page that gives you some settings to try out on the pedal, although none really give you the scribbly, wirey sound of Greenwood. To summarise: Incredibly easy to use and doesn't take long for you to set-up before you're churning out riffs.

rockybo
    Oh yeah, I forgot that there are zero good solid state amps, Archer. None at all. Not a single solid state amp is any good, and thus your sweeping generalization is perfectly accurate and relevant. P.S. I'm being sarcastic, you pretentious shithead.
    ArcherTheVMan
    tenaciousjp
    Hart_Attack wrote: cyclefreak207 wrote: ArcherTheVMan wrote: YourLastAffront wrote: My Bloody Valentine never ever ever used the Shredmaster, it's a false rumor created by guitargeek. Jonny Greenwood does use one, but with a Solid State amp, they sound better with a Marshall or a decent Solid State. a decent solid state? maybe you could say decent For a solid state, but i don't really see the connection between the words 'decent' and 'solid state'. Dude not everybodys got 3000 to spend on a good tube amp, and if solid state wasnt good, would there be any of them still being sold?? and by the way, I play a MG100HDFX and its awesome, and not tube. damn it! why did you have to say MG100HDFX... i had respect for you for standing up to the whole get with what you got, but you just killed yourself when you said MG. sry dude but hock it over and get the orange tiny terror. if i'm not mistaken thats around 500 to 700 dollars and kicks super ****in' ass!!!
    just because you cant dial in a good tone on the mg doesnt mean its a bad amp i have the mg50dfx and a boss metal zone and i got steve vai's for the love of god tone easy...maybe its just you that cant dial it in right...
    buchla200
    Just found one locally. I'm impressed! I have a few nice amps and this going into the front of my Laney (old supergroup head) sounds amazingly good. It really does head into jcm800 territory. Why do companies bother changing stuff! This should still be made. Incredible. Only negative, the pots crackle and they are pretty poor quality but it's a non issue when you hear it. 10/10
    handbanana
    aside from that this is a great pedal for anyone who wants a marshall sounding boost. My amp roars into JCM 800 territory. Replaced my Tubescreamer completely, and I need no other OD's with it. I will say though, it's a bit of a one trick pony, I wouldn't really use it for anything else. Only good at one setting if you ask me. But for what I use it for it's a ****ing amazing pedal. i got lucky and found one for $50 on cl
    handbanana
    tube amps don't cost $3000, they make tubes amps for $99 brand new. My laney pro tube was around $350. if you honestly think your MG sounds good then I feel really really bad for you and your ears.
    creepingjesus73
    The Shredmaster is the dog's bollox. It's genius for direct recording; and of my distortion pedals, it's the one everyone wants to borrow.
    gregorisgod
    tenaciousjp wrote: YourLastAffront wrote: no one gives a shit about my bloody valintine or whatever the bands called they ****ing suck
    I bet you don't even know who MBV are. This pedal's amazing, my main distortion pedal.
    stradivari310
    I wonder what this would sound like with a Fender Eighty-Five.. it's Jonny Greenwood's setup.
    Kunundrum
    SS randalls, Jazz choruses, Polytone mini-brute, jazzkat amps... Lots of GREAT SS amps!
    TDAJGuitarist
    Marshall MG's are crap...Sorry dude...I agree with Archer...There really isnt any solid states that can even compare to tubes...None.
    High_o
    jazz choruses are good, and so are most ss randalls
    Hart_Attack
    omarrodrigez
    I got my marshall tube amp for $550, you dont have to spend 3 grand to get a good tube amp.
    cyclefreak207
    misfitchik666
    this seems pretty cool 2 me but im not big on this stuff. oh, and kirdy, yes that is quite cheap it's roughly $17.
    shakysam
    Erm... Roland Jazz Chorus?
    tenaciousjp