Supa Fuzz review by Marshall

Marshall: Supa Fuzz

Ease of use? Okay, there is no external power input, so you need to run off of battery only, however, if the pedal is in the off position there is no need to unplug it as it will not drain the battery. The pedal is large - length of a Cry Baby and a little wider, so not for smaller boards and has rubber feet with makes secure mounting a challenge. Who cares? The sound is what you are looking for and this pedal does not disappoint. There are two controls: volume controlling the output level and filter controlling the amount of effect in the signal. Oddly enough I find that adjusting the filter does not affect the level of output on this pedal as with other distortions. Huge plus for my anyway as you can tweak the distortion without having to adjust the level with each change. There is no LED to tell you it is on, but you can tell the difference as there is a little noise added when engaged that increases slightly as the filter is turned up. All in all, very easy to use, very easy to get your sound and a joy to use.

This is the original late sixties tone bender fuzz pedal used by all the greats - and now me. Nails everything from Zeppelin, Who, Hendrix and all from that era. Pull out your Live at Leeds album and hear what this pedal does. There you have it - beautiful in your face fuzz that all manufacturers are scratching to match its sound. Having said that, it's not the pedal for every song that uses some type of distortion. It's a deep, full, somewhat dark sounding fuzz with the filter down to a melt your face with it up. Handles both chording and picking well and will definitely be heard over anything.

I am the second owner of this pedal and have been using it for about thirty plus years. Within that time I have had it in for repair once back in the eighties to have a component (capacitor? Sorry not very technical) replaced for the sum of fourteen dollars. Replaced with battery connector with one to properly fit a nine volt as this pedal has no input for external power supplies. It is THICK solid metal construction with the volume and tone knobs at the top out of foot kicking range (big pedal - size of a cry baby wah). I completely depend on it!

I play classic rock and blues which is why this pedal was invented. I read a guy's article about achieving the classic rock tones and he stated that if you want to sound like that then you have to use the equipment of that era - this pedal is true to that. They go for ridiculous prices on eBay/etc. and I would be very sad if it were ever to go missing. What I love is the tone - in one of our sets we play the Eddie Cochrane version of "Summertime Blues" (clean) right into The Who's "Can't Explain" and when I press the switch and hit that first E chord - you would swear it's Pete doing an arm swing. What I hate? Hmmm... well the volume pot is getting a little scratchy, but after almost fifty years and thousands of hours of use I can't complain. Overall a great sounding pedal, perhaps genre/era specific and definitely unique these days.