OD-9 review by Maxon

Maxon: OD-9

Purchased from: Global Vintage Sydney

I use this pedal with an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus and a Marshall JCM800 with Avatar 4 x 12 (a Peavey Bandit at home) and I love the sound that it creates. Maxon, the company that designed the original Ibanez Tubescreamers are the manufacturers of this product and I have yet to find anything that can match the Tubescreamer tone, until I saw this. It is True Bypass meaning it leaves your tone untouched when out of use and creates no excess noise. It contains the legendary JRC4558 IC chip that made the Tubescreamer famous with added and upgraded output resistors to eliminate noise and ensure that the tone is even more saturated and genuine than the Ibanez. I can use this pedal for a great, screaming lead boost, a nice light natural overdrive or a classic crunch with the twist of a knob. It excels and beats the competition for anything you throw at it.

I play anything from Death Metal, classic and modern rock to light rock and everything in between and this pedal provides a briliant Overdrive for any of the above genres. It has finally ended my Quest for a wonderful, versatile and and beatiful-sounding Overdrive that makes me sound how I want to. It matches my style of playing perfectly. I have been playing for 4 years self-taught and I own many other effects pedals and this pedal beat out all of the competition I threw at it for the sound that I searching for. I had heard the good reputation for this product and decided to try it for myself and I was swept away. If it was stolen, I would hunt down the dirty crook and get him thrown away in jail for life. I would not lose because I am reluctant to let it out of my sight. The only criticism I do have to make is the limited volume that it can achieve and the sometimes, difficulty of the footswitch to turn on, but it is more than satisfactory. I compared this to the Fulltone Fulldrive and OCD, the Keeley-modded Tubescreamer and Keeley Boss SD-1 and the Ibanez Tubescreamer and even the Maxon OD-9 Pro+ and it easily thrashed it's competition. Overall, I am thoroughly happy with my purchase and I have found the sound I am looking for in an Overdrive.

This pedal could be rendered indestructible. It has a hard metal casing and a 4DPT footswitch that will take a lot of beating. I treat all my gear in the best possible manner, keeping it in mint condition, but this pedal is designed to take some abuse. I would definitely use it in gigs and have used it without a backup.

This pedal, the Maxon OD-9, is so easy to get a beautiful sound out of. I am so impreesed with its versatility and I love every sound I can get out of it. There are three simple knobs, just the Ibanez Tubescreamer - level, tone and drive. The maunal clearly explains everything and gives you some settings to use with different pickups to get a nice sound.

StratRat13
    I have one, it rapes Tubescreamers. They made TS's until 2002. And they just took the best of the pedals they made and came out with this, the OD9.
    IncubusMan999
    nope, i work for Lowes, i just love the tone that comes out of it, as mentioned it creams the tubescreamers and its the sound ive been looking for.
    pondus92
    wolfy808
    pondus92 wrote: I have long thought about getting an Ibanez TS808, though after this im going to the city to try ouut maxon. I really cant believe what you are writing. Does Maxon OD9 have enough gain to play Gilmour style?
    For Gilmour stuff, I would get a Big Muff Pi. I believe Gilmour used a USSR model, but I'm not too certain.