OD-9 review by Maxon

Maxon: OD-9

The reason I bought this pedal was the play on the tone knob and the true bypass since I run 7 pedals and 2 loops. I tried dozens of other green pedals and on EVERY single one the bass kicked in at a different position on the tone knob and they all sounded very different. For me as a player that's hard on equipment this makes it way more difficult getting a replacement since if you need it quick you have to take what you can find. That's simply unacceptable to me. I found my self thinking "Well I could get it modded" but that would take more time and money. Why bother, just get a Maxon.

This pedal keeps finding it's way back on my pedal board. I use it as a booster and Overdrive pedal. The only problem is that there are a bun of ways to get great sounds out of it. Boost the level and use the Drive knob to set your volume and you have a clear boost that combines well with lots of other pedals. Do the opposite and you have a wide range of Overdrive to light distortion tones. What would you expect though from the company that actually invented the green pedal in the mid 60's. After Ibanez started to take notice, they were licensed by the company until they parted ways in 2002. In all fairness while Ibanez's quality went down Maxon's went up and to me they are the real deal.

I have never had an issue with this pedal and never had to clean it. It works great with lots of other pedals because of the true bypass and sounds great because of the JRC4558 chip made famous by the old 808s. I just wish pedal builders would use plastic 9-volt connectors and not the vinyl ones that fall apart.

With only 3 knobs this pedal is pretty self explanatory. Just like a certain green pedal the controls are from left to right, Drive, Tone and Level. But what sets this pedal apart is the 808 and true bypass mods that comes standard. Why pay for a reissue that you have to send to get modded when you can have it sound great out of the box? The only confusing things about the pedal is the Switch has to be released to engage the effect and I often use it with Boss pedals and their knobs are all backwards. Thanks BOSS!