OD808 Overdrive review by Maxon

Maxon: OD808 Overdrive

Purchased from: Guitar Village

I use this in conjunction with my Ibanez RG and Marshall JCM900, It's perfect in this setup in so many ways, gives boost for solos or it can be used all the time to give you a great tone, to my surprise it can also bring some goodness out of a Marshall MG! Who knew?? instead of the clean straight to uber12yearoldinguitarcenter spectrum that I've come to expect, when used on the clean channel It gives a brilliant bluesy crunch and is also great for classic rock. On the incredibly dirty channel if tweaked right it can add a lot to the tone and transform the amp into a semi-decent one. I love the tone from this thing.

I want to be critical here but there isn't anything to critisize, it deserves a perfect 10 because it does what it's supposed to and does it well. I needed a boost and this gives just the right mix of compression and Drive to really add to your tone. I play the usual blues to metal spectrum and this adds to all of these incredibly, if I'm not playing with this then I feel as if I'm missing some integral part of my sound.

It has a metal casing and could easily take a beating. I would have no problem gigging without a backup, in fatc I plan on it in the near future, I own pedals I wouldn't trust outside so this is a breath of fresh air in the realm of durability. Never had any problems with it and I don't expect to in the future.

Easy. 3 knobs: overdrive, balance and tone. Incredibly easy to get a good overdriven tone. The manual is good, comes with a few presets to get you started and not like 'heavy metal distoriton! ' or 'blues drive' and such but stuff for boosting solos and the signature tone of the OD808. I can't flaw this in this category.

duzit89
    i really get tired of these ppl who always say "if it was stolen.. i would hunt them down" when most likely the reason why it was stolen is because you couldnt do a damn thing about it.. overall good pedal
    danielbang
    pondus92 wrote: i wouldn't say it fits for metal. Awesome sound if you play blues, classic rock, rock
    most metal players use this pedal for a clean boost on their distortion channel for tighter sound
    simoT.I.
    i've got mine just today... main used as a booster/cleaner always on with my distortion sound on a 5150. it clears up like no other and i can get that "chugga chugga" perfect for my riffs and stuff. it really make me sound the way i wanted to. if you want the metal tone just take an ibanez S 7 string, a 5150, and THIS pedal. for me it's heaven
    duzit89
    KaneIsRaw13 wrote: these any good put in front of solid states?
    its somewhat good through a solid state.. lets say you needed a boost on a good overdriven tone your solid state has ... my yahama g100 212 series 3 has Shitty overdrive but amazing cleans Though it does sound good on either channel.. and you boost it with this.. it will sound great.. but overall.. if you'd like to hear what its meant to do..Get a tube amp (doesnt matter whut size).. with good overdrive or distortion.. OD808 will be the best thing you can use to boost the tone for solo'n or your overall rhythm tone IF your not happy with the Drive channel on the amp... i still have my ts808 and od808.. and to tell you the truth.. i wouldnt get rid of either of them.. but if you'd like to try a lower priced overdrive pedal.. try MXR GT overdrive (i think thats the name).. the guy from trivium uses that one and its only about 100 buxx
    weinzhell
    jorgenandre
    Got a Engl e530 and a boss ns-2. Will this pedal help me get a better "djent" sound?
    weinzhell wrote: The Maxon OD808 is for any type of music. i play technical death metal and need a very tight and clean sounding distortion. if you are more death-core and play a lot of open chugs. it is still great. Whitechapel use one in front of their EVH 5150 III heads. For that extra bite/punch. My setup is either a CUSTOM BERNIE RICO JEKYLL727 > ISP NOISE SUPPRESSOR > MAXON OD 808 > MESA BOOGIE DUEL REC. HEAD > MESA DUEL REC. SLANT CAB.....or CUSTOM BERNIE RICO JEKYLL727 > BOSS NOISE SUPPRESSOR > ENGL SAVAGE > MESA BOOGIE DUEL REC. SLANT CAB. i use the ISP noise suppressor with the boogie bc it does a better job at canceling out noise. And even though mesa boogie has good tone, its hard to find "GREAT" tone out of one. The MAXON OD808 fixed that! It takes some time to get your setting's just the way you like them, but none the less worth buying. And my personal opinion the best overdrive pedal on the market. (i prefer it over the OD-9)
    JP.92
    I use this with a JP6 in front of a M/B Mark IV and man it just kills it. Perfect for when your just looking for a heavier and tighter sound from your amp. Great pedal.
    ImNoSuperman100
    Long story short, i use a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser with a Marshall MG100DFX, i'm happy with the distortion i get but it lacks the sensitive harmonics, i've been told my technique is fine so i don't think its due to that. Would this pedal allow my harmonics to scream more?