ST-01 Super Tube Screamer Review

manufacturer: Maxon date: 11/08/2010 category: Guitar Effects
Maxon: ST-01 Super Tube Screamer
With 4 perfectly sized knobs labeled; Drive, Level, Mid Boost, and Tone, I can easily dial in any sound I want.
 Ease of Use: 10
 1,246
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
ST-01 Super Tube Screamer Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 08, 2010

Purchased from: Local Music SHop

Ease of Use: Oh my goodness, with 4 perfectly sized knobs labeled; Drive, Level, Mid Boost, and Tone, I can easily dial in any sound I want. The resistance level is just right for tweaking, and it sounds so beautiful. I especially like how the tone doesn't change when I crank the drive, but the tone knob itself changes volume/drive when I mess with it. The volume is nice, not too loud for, but enough to send my amp into creamy feedback. And not so quiet that it won't boost my volume when I kick it in for a solo. // 10

Sound: I currently am using a Crate GTD 120 212 (120 watts, 2x12 speakers) It's a badass amp, even if it's transistorized.. but with the reverb up about halfway I can get a Big bad distortion going, and when I plug in my Les Paul, those Burstbuckers just scream and dive into controlled harmonics every time. The pedal itself is extremely quiet when compared to other distortion pedals I own (Boss metalzone, DOD FX-53) and I have it at the end of my (small) effects chain. I have it set up as follows: 1 Morley wonder wah, 2 DigiTech RP 155 processer, 3 DOD FX53 classic tube overdrive, 4 Maxon ST-01, 5 Ernie Ball VP Jr. Volume Pedal. I love how I can start with a smooth overdriven sound with the Maxon pedal, or kick it in during a solo for a fantastic boost. The effect pedal itself is heaven on earth. It seriously is worth every penny of $350 to me.. I just so glad I found it cheaper ;) I can dial in any sound I want: Grunge, Rock'n'roll, anything without insane Drive to it, or I can add it in front of my tube amp, and crank the Drive to get an insane shredder metal sound. So flexible, so smooth, so SWEET. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is built like a tank. Go Pick up any Boss pedal, then try this baby out. It's hefty, and solid cast body is bulletproof (almost) and has already survived pedalboard drops.. I love it, it'll be with me forever, and yes. I can depend on it, and I would definitely use it on a gig w/o a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I like to play grunge-y music, still stuck in the '90s I know xD, but this pedal lends me flexibility to go from nice, laid back music, to some serious heart pounding beats. I would recommend this pedal to ANY guitar player, no matter WHAT they play. I have gone through countless digital processers and other distorion pedals in the 6 years I've been playing.. and this has got to be he best. I have no regrets, no doubts, and no hate for this beautiful pedal. If I lost it, or it was stolen, then I wouldn't be able to buy another one.. they're too expensive! lol, but I would definitely have to replace it with something.. maybe one of those new Ibanez TS-9's.. ugh, Vintage equipment ftw! // 10

Comments