V-Twin review by Mesa Boogie

Mesa Boogie: V-Twin

Purchased from: eBAY

I'm using it with an Ibanez Ax-220 and I have it running through a Sonic Maximizer. Very quiet when on clean, When on solo and turned up don't just sit there play some thing or you will hear slight static in the backgroud. This pedal is basically a preamp, and with 2 Mesa Boogie Tubes in it, it has some nuts. Play anything from Incubus to Hendrix to Slipknot on this baby. if there was a rating of 10 I'd give it. Only bad thing about the sound is that if you play on this, everything else will sound crappy.

I play mostly blues and rock, but from time to time I play country. Bands I cover with this puppy are: Incubus, Tool, Jimi Hendrix, and Alter Bridge. Mesa includes a 10' power supply, thats right. I said a 10' power supply. Never run out of room. If it were lost or stolen I'd definatly buy another one. After I whoop A. My favorite feature would have to be the clean channel. It doesn't get any better. Crisp, Clear, Warm tones from heaven. The tubes make it sound extra liquidy and you can feel it in your stomach when you hit the bass strings. This pedal doesn't compare to any other on the market. All V-Twins are handbuilt in the USA. If I could change one thing it would be the price. I had to save up. Even though I would pay way more because of the quality, its still alot of mula. If you have the money, Bid on one off of eBay.

This baby is built like a brick ice house. Diamond Plated steel that would blow any other durability claims away Boss for instance. I laugh it that only problem with it is that if the tubes go you better have a backup.

Very simple to use and very simple to get yer own sound. 6 Knobs to get exactly what you want. The led's let you know what you are doing so you don't have to remember what channel you are on. It has a clean, blues, and solo channel. Each is interchangable.

david.peavy.712
    Have one & during my Mesa Boogie Mark 4 days, didn't think so much of it. The one day I plugged it into '65 Fender twin, & Kendrick Gig rig 6L6 tube amps..OMG~!!! It must have been built to make a fender sound incredible. A Killer pedal if you have Fender type amps~!
    zerowing
    man I hate being the noob but what tubes are used for these..? regular amp tubes or are there separate kinds?
    inverock
    ivew got a fender blues delux reissue amp. the overdrive is not good at all on this amp but everything else is. im planning to buy the v-twin but i need some advise will this what im looking for.
    inverock
    nirvallica
    Anything will be able to fit in. Mesa Boogie tubes are just rebrands anyway..
    maverick_137
    inverock i have heard that the bad cat distortion pedals are better you might also want to look into those
    SeveralSpecies
    Hey can this thing get Tool/APC tones? ...judging by the review I would think they fall in between Hendrix and slipknot :p
    A Bad Guitarist
    I LOVE ALL CAPS
    TriviumFan717
    Megadeaf
    A Bad Guitarist wrote: inverock wrote: IS IT ONLY MESA BOOGIE 12AX7 TUBE THAT CAN FIT INTO THE V-TWIN OR CAN OTHER MAKES?I LOVE ALL CAPS
    BILLY MAYS MODE: ACTIVATED!
    Megadeaf
    TriviumFan717 wrote: I'm guessing any type of pre-amp tube would work, but the best idea would to probaly stick with Mesa.
    I would actually consider changing the tubes so it sounds different, actually.
    Migtone
    A preamp tube is not as critical as a power amp tube in terms of 'matching a unit. You can use any 12AXT in this unit. In fact, using different brands of 12AX7 tubes will give you tonal variations that you may like better than the original. Mesa 12AX7 tubes were typically chinese, then they started using russian tubes as well, but aside from mesa, you may want to try JJ tubes, Groove tubes, or if you have the cash to experiment, look for NOS (New Old Stock) tubes. All in all, the v-twin sound is not going to change dramatically, but the overall nuances of the sound as well as the way your strings "feel" when you pick them may be worth checking out. Good luck!