Crunch Box review by MI Audio

MI Audio: Crunch Box

Purchased from: Singapore

I am using the Crunch Box currently with a Fulltone OCD (version 4) and a Maxon OD808 Overdrive, Fender MIA Jaguar, Fender HSS Strat, and Fender CIJ Telecaster with texas specials, into a Laney LC15R. With the LC15R, which can get into high gain territory (when you increase the guitar volume), screams with the Crunch Box! It seems to favour my Strat's humbucker and Jaguar's bridge pickup, as the notes are articulated clearly and the distortion better than the hugely-acclaimed Metal Muff (although this is not really a metal pedal).I play all sorts of music from acoustic music, to rock, to blues, to metal. This pedal really allows me to play hard rock and metal. It also stacks very very well with my Maxon OD808, which I'm using mainly as the booster. The only problem, though, is probrably the noise factor. I am powering 3 pedals with a 1spot adaptor into the tube amp. I have to roll off the gain on the amp for the hum to be lessened.

I love this pedal overall. It suits my playing style, which is pretty diverse. I don't think I have found a pedal in it's price range that beats it. The pedals that might be considered as better than this pedal are way expensive. This pedal replaced my Micro Metal Muff (Elextro-Harmonix), which replaced a Line 6 tonecure Uber Metal (which sucked big time) and I haven't looked back on the purchace. It just sounds a lot better overall, and does not produce as much noise as most other high gain distortion pedals do.

I definitely will be able to use it without a backup. I already have and there has not been a single problem. The Crunch Box is a very sturdy pedal, as sturdy as my Maxon. and it does not seem like it will break anytime in the distant future, as long as you take decent care of your gear.

The MI Audio Crunch Box is very easy to use, also easy to dial in a decent tone. The learning curve is not very steep. Volume, tone and gain knobs, basics. You don't need a manual to figure the Crunch Box out. Also, mine is a later version, with adjustable internal trimpot. My Brunch Box has also been modified, and there is an additional knob on the side, which is the presence control. This makes my Crunch Box very versatile, and I am able to get a lot of sounds from it.