Crunch Box review by MI Audio

MI Audio: Crunch Box

I'm not using the best gear but it gets the job done. an AXL 100 amp (solid state) with a strat copy (with EPIC new pickups)and I'm also using a Boss GE-7 EQ pedal. The pedal really shines with a tube amp. Its perfect for Marshall tones and is suited for humbuckers more than single coils. With the gain turned to zero you get some awesome tube-like clean/slightly Overdrive tones and with the gain cranked you can get pretty good JCM 800 tones (good for older thrash and hard rock). It starts to get muddy if you turn the tone down to far and crank crank the gain all the way up but this can be countered with the internal presence control. Turn the gain down to about 3, the tone up to about 7 and turn off all reverb and you have a great Blues-Rock tone perfect for AC/DC or Zep.

I play all sorts of music and this pedal can nail slightly Overdrive tones right up to hard rock. It might get to metal if you scooped the hell out of the mids with an EQ pedal to get it to sound 'heavier' but that totally ruins it's Marshall-like tone. I compared this pedal with various Boss pedals (SD-1, DS-1, OS-2), Digi-tech (Bad Monkey) pedals and various other brands in the same price range and this one kicked ass. it's also handmade in Australia so that was a huge plus for me. The only thing I think could be improved on is a manual suggesting settings and stuff and maybe an internal gain control like they did with the precense control.

I don't really know how durable it is, I've only had it for a week but I've already dropped it once and it still works fine. I would say it is reliable enough to use at a gig without a backup. it's Australian made, it can't be to bad can it?

There is no manual, however, there is no need for one. Its very straight forward with only Tone, Volume and Gain knobs and an internal presence control. I dare you to spend 5 minutes with this and not love it. After a few minutes I found every tone I would ever need and even more when I discovered the internal presence control. The op-amp chip inside is socketed and can be swapped out for other chips to get even more control over gain and tone, however i would suggest taking it to someone Who knows what they're doing if you plan on replacing the op-amp chip Oh its also true bypass!