Crunch Box review by MI Audio

MI Audio: Crunch Box

Purchased from: MI Audio (scratch n dent sale)

I have a Marshall 150AVT head into a Behringer BG412H Ultrastack cab. Cheap half stack, but the head lacks that Marshall crunch of say a jcm 800 having only 1 pre amp tube would be the reason I guess. Putting this in front of the amp with a Boss super Overdrive gives me all the Marshall tone I was looking for with the gain down low you can get nice ac/dc tones and with it boosted you get sex pistols and further up to Bad Religion and I'd even say Slayer and early 80 thrash is possible too it can do a lot if you play with it.

I have been playing with my current setup for 2years but have been playing overall for around 15 years. I've never had the cash to splurge on a tube amp and the AVT is possibly as close as I'll ever get, which is why I wanted something to get me the Marshall rock, punk and early 80s metal tones I couldn't get with the amp I have. I love this pedal to death I've bought several different distortion/ OD pedals and none got me even close to what this does I couldn 't be happier (unless someone gave me a jcm 800) if this got stolen I'd find the person and end them!

I got mine directly from the makers in a scratch and dent sale which was $60 cheaper than from a store. When I got it I opened the box and could see no obvious marks on it at all it looked perfect. The footswitch feels very strong and the knobs feel very durable also. I haven't opened it to play with the extra dial inside, but going by the rest of it I assume it's okay also and it's all housed in a metal box feels indestructable.

Very simple it has 3 external knobs (volume, tone and gain) and an internal one which allows you to alter it's voice even more. There is little in the way of a manual, but it isn't needed anyway very simple to use. I got good tomes from this as soon as I plugged it in. Have read reviews that the LED will stay bright even when the batteries in it are failing which results in tone loss, but I use a power adaptor so wouldn't know