MT-DS SpeedBox Distortion XL review by ModTone

ModTone: MT-DS SpeedBox Distortion XL

Purchased from: Parramore Music

I used it through an Ibanez electric guitar and a 30watt Peavey amp. It was not at all noisy and it gave great tones for various types of music. The distortion gets a little weak when the tone knob is down, but other wise it's great. I was able to get a tone fairly close to Angus Young of AC/DC as well as a decent Metallica disrotion for songs like sad but true.

I play classic rock to metal and this pedal suits the sounds of AC/DC, Nirvana, and even Metallica. If it were stolen I would buy it a heartbeat. I love the easiness of switching between high distortion to Chuck Berry, blues style distortion. Overall I recommend it whether your a beginner looking for your first pedal or you need a good distortion pedal.

I would depend on the pedal for anything. If stomped on or carelessly left around, the shell would most likely crack but I doubt it would have much effects on the sound. I would probably use this as a back up for a gig but if I had maybe a Metal Muff as a primary pedal.

The ModTone: SpeedBox is a very simple distortion pedal with a simple button for on.off functions, and it's very easy to change the tone with the three knobs, Level (volume), gain, and tone. There was no manual included but the operation is shown on the box and I was shown the operation in the store.

_GoingBlind_
    ten_years_after wrote: does it have that papery cheap sound like boss pedals
    seriously man? boss makes something that sounds papery cheap? such as..... oh and the versatility of this pedal is pretty weak, but for the price its not a bad investment
    SylvaShredder
    Go for higher-quality pedals (such as Keeley products or Dirty-boy) with truebypass and all the business with the good leads and stuff And yes, most Boss pedals I've played cut your tone in half unfortunately..
    highwayone73
    This little thing can blast. I've run this through an Orange TIny Terror and and made it scream. Really if you find one its definitely worth the 35 or 40 bucks.
    koalabacon
    ten_years_after wrote: does it have that papery cheap sound like boss pedals
    papery cheap? what boss pedals do you play?
    MRAAJR
    just bought this pedal...not bad for the price....a bit noisy with the gain cranked but i have shitty cables so that could definitely be the problem