MT-DS SpeedBox Distortion XL review by ModTone

ModTone: MT-DS SpeedBox Distortion XL

Purchased from: ebay

I use this pedal with my Peavey Windsor Head and a few different Ibanez and LTD guitars. I bought this pedal to use mainly as an Overdrive for the Windsor, as I also have a Electro Harmonix Metal Muff. As an Overdrive it works great, but it also works great as an alternative metal sound to the metal muff. The pedal isn't noisy at all and the Switch is very quiet as well.

I play rock and metal and this pedal is perfect. Like I said, I bought it mainly for an Overdrive, but this will also work for those Who are looking for a metal tone. I've been playing for a few years now and I've owned a few distortion pedals in the past. I currently have a Metal Muff... and this pedal is a nice alternative to this sound. I don't know if it would be a replacement for me, but it's nice to have some versatility. If it were lost or stolen, I would definitely replace it, especially for $40 USD (shipped). Don't hate anything about it, but I love the sound and the paintjob. Great pedal, and I can't wait to try some of their other gear.

I've had this pedal for a month or so, and I have used it everyday with 0 problems thus far. It has a very durable case, and the bypass Switch seems very strong. I would definitely use this at a gig without a backup. For the price... and taking the sounds into consideration, this pedal is definitely worth it for me.

Very easy to get good sounds out of this pedal. It can do anything from slight Overdrive to metal. Mine came with a manual, but it's a fairly simple pedal to use. Has three control knobs: Tone, Gain, and Level.

ST Custom
    haha i have the best cables, gold plated just cause i dont know whether its true or not. But Don't worry I'm gonna ****ing own this pedal, IMa buy this mother ****er and place it between the sweet sex of the already crowded situation, me my guitar, these cables and of course the sexiest one of all the Fender Amp head. ohh god.
    skatertrev
    koalabacon wrote: ten_years_after wrote: does it have that papery cheap sound like boss pedals Probably the ds-1. The orange disto. My freind has it and I think it kinda sucks. All other boss i have played are great though papery cheap? what boss pedals do you play?
    skatertrev
    skatertrev wrote: koalabacon wrote: ten_years_after wrote: does it have that papery cheap sound like boss pedals papery cheap? what boss pedals do you play?
    Probably the ds-1. The orange disto. My freind has it and I think it kinda sucks. All other boss i have played are great though.
    sglover34479
    I don't know what that guy is talking about. All the boss pedals I've played are amazing. I got the boss rc-2 loop station a couple days ago, it's amazing. I'm prolly gonna get the boss mt-2 metal zone next.