MT-DS SpeedBox Distortion XL review by ModTone

ModTone: MT-DS SpeedBox Distortion XL

Purchased from: Audio connections

I'm using my Ibanez with dual humbucker pickups and a Fender deluxe 90 35W amp. The box itself is slightly noisy as to be expected with any distortion pedal, but it is minimal. Distortion is strong in all ranges and my stuff is usually vibrating when I play I can easily get a good journey sound out of the box for some bluzier stuff. It gets really angry when I crank it up and sounds extremely good for a Doors Down type sound. It'll also easily produce a good classic rock sound when the distortion is low. The only problem I have is that there's a definate "click" back feed into the amp when I Switch it on/off. Overall, I would say that it's a very "natural" sounding distortion when compared to something like a smash box.

I mostly play rock music, both classic and modern. I'll also branch off into some blues and contemporary music. I've only been playing for about half a year, but my musical background extends into the last 12 years playing piano and trap. This box was straight up a good buy and I'm glad I got it. If it were ever stolen, I'd for SURE buy it again. The best thing about this box (as afore mentioned) is the bush button Switch opposed to a pedal. There's no worry about getting chords caught and hindering the pedal. I compared this to a few other pedals by Ibanez and hands down this wins. Next purchase for sure is a MXR carbon copy analog box which would be a perfect mate for this box. All around great box for a good price!

I've had the box for a few weeks now and after playing daily with it, its held up perfectly. No need to be careful with the box, It'll take a beating. I'd without a doubt gig w/o a backup. I'll sometimes play with boots or hard sole shoes and I've given it a good STOMP before and I've not had to worry about the box holding up.

Ease of use is great. The multitude of sounds I can get out of this box is very good. The box came with no instructions, but it's very straightforward and operation is shown on the box, and I was also shown in store. I like the push button style Switch so I never have to worry about getting chords stuck under the pedal.

NakedInTheRain
    skatertrev wrote: skatertrev wrote: koalabacon wrote: ten_years_after wrote: does it have that papery cheap sound like boss pedals papery cheap? what boss pedals do you play? Probably the ds-1. The orange disto. My freind has it and I think it kinda sucks. All other boss i have played are great though.
    Yeah I'm not a massive fan of the DS-1. Too trebly and grainy for me, with not enough gain. Just bought the Speedbox off ebay; can't wait. i might post a review when i get a better amp. just got this so i can give my mate's metalcore back. :p: