MT-DS SpeedBox Distortion XL Review

manufacturer: ModTone date: 05/26/2009 category: Guitar Effects
ModTone: MT-DS SpeedBox Distortion XL
This is a split bypass boutique style distortion pedal that emulates the tones of a vintage amp or classic overdrive and is housed in a compact all metal box that can take all you dish out!
 Reliability & Durability: 8.7
 Ease of Use: 9.3
 8.1
 9.2
 2,970
reviews (3) pictures (2) 16 comments vote for this gear:
MT-DS SpeedBox Distortion XL Reviewed by: sglover34479, on august 27, 2008

Purchased from: Parramore Music

Ease of Use: The ModTone: SpeedBox is a very simple distortion pedal with a simple button for on.off functions, and it's very easy to change the tone with the three knobs, Level (volume), gain, and tone. There was no manual included but the operation is shown on the box and I was shown the operation in the store. // 8

Sound: I used it through an Ibanez electric guitar and a 30watt Peavey amp. It was not at all noisy and it gave great tones for various types of music. The distortion gets a little weak when the tone knob is down, but other wise it's great. I was able to get a tone fairly close to Angus Young of AC/DC as well as a decent Metallica disrotion for songs like sad but true. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would depend on the pedal for anything. If stomped on or carelessly left around, the shell would most likely crack but I doubt it would have much effects on the sound. I would probably use this as a back up for a gig but if I had maybe a Metal Muff as a primary pedal. // 6

Overall Impression: I play classic rock to metal and this pedal suits the sounds of AC/DC, Nirvana, and even Metallica. If it were stolen I would buy it a heartbeat. I love the easiness of switching between high distortion to Chuck Berry, blues style distortion. Overall I recommend it whether your a beginner looking for your first pedal or you need a good distortion pedal. // 8

MT-DS SpeedBox Distortion XL Reviewed by: eyebanez333, on january 09, 2009

Purchased from: ebay

Ease of Use: Very easy to get good sounds out of this pedal. It can do anything from slight Overdrive to metal. Mine came with a manual, but it's a fairly simple pedal to use. Has three control knobs: Tone, Gain, and Level. // 10

Sound: I use this pedal with my Peavey Windsor Head and a few different Ibanez and LTD guitars. I bought this pedal to use mainly as an Overdrive for the Windsor, as I also have a Electro Harmonix Metal Muff. As an Overdrive it works great, but it also works great as an alternative metal sound to the metal muff. The pedal isn't noisy at all and the Switch is very quiet as well. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've had this pedal for a month or so, and I have used it everyday with 0 problems thus far. It has a very durable case, and the bypass Switch seems very strong. I would definitely use this at a gig without a backup. For the price... and taking the sounds into consideration, this pedal is definitely worth it for me. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock and metal and this pedal is perfect. Like I said, I bought it mainly for an Overdrive, but this will also work for those Who are looking for a metal tone. I've been playing for a few years now and I've owned a few distortion pedals in the past. I currently have a Metal Muff... and this pedal is a nice alternative to this sound. I don't know if it would be a replacement for me, but it's nice to have some versatility. If it were lost or stolen, I would definitely replace it, especially for $40 USD (shipped). Don't hate anything about it, but I love the sound and the paintjob. Great pedal, and I can't wait to try some of their other gear. // 10

MT-DS SpeedBox Distortion XL Reviewed by: jlangholzj, on may 26, 2009

Purchased from: Audio connections

Ease of Use: Ease of use is great. The multitude of sounds I can get out of this box is very good. The box came with no instructions, but it's very straightforward and operation is shown on the box, and I was also shown in store. I like the push button style Switch so I never have to worry about getting chords stuck under the pedal. // 10

Sound: I'm using my Ibanez with dual humbucker pickups and a Fender deluxe 90 35W amp. The box itself is slightly noisy as to be expected with any distortion pedal, but it is minimal. Distortion is strong in all ranges and my stuff is usually vibrating when I play I can easily get a good journey sound out of the box for some bluzier stuff. It gets really angry when I crank it up and sounds extremely good for a Doors Down type sound. It'll also easily produce a good classic rock sound when the distortion is low. The only problem I have is that there's a definate "click" back feed into the amp when I Switch it on/off. Overall, I would say that it's a very "natural" sounding distortion when compared to something like a smash box. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've had the box for a few weeks now and after playing daily with it, its held up perfectly. No need to be careful with the box, It'll take a beating. I'd without a doubt gig w/o a backup. I'll sometimes play with boots or hard sole shoes and I've given it a good STOMP before and I've not had to worry about the box holding up. // 10

Overall Impression: I mostly play rock music, both classic and modern. I'll also branch off into some blues and contemporary music. I've only been playing for about half a year, but my musical background extends into the last 12 years playing piano and trap. This box was straight up a good buy and I'm glad I got it. If it were ever stolen, I'd for SURE buy it again. The best thing about this box (as afore mentioned) is the bush button Switch opposed to a pedal. There's no worry about getting chords caught and hindering the pedal. I compared this to a few other pedals by Ibanez and hands down this wins. Next purchase for sure is a MXR carbon copy analog box which would be a perfect mate for this box. All around great box for a good price! // 10

Comments