MT-EM Extreme Metal review by ModTone

ModTone: MT-EM Extreme Metal

Purchased from: Copy Cat music

I use this pedal with an SX SR-1 from Rondo Music(24 frets, HSH, Floyd trem) into a Randall half stack that I am borrowing from a friend. I also use it with my Kona practice amp. It is really quiet unless you have several distortion pedals on at the same time. It sounds great no matter what your settings are. The distortion is great because you can adjust it and fine tune it to your liking. I can replicate Metallica, AC/DC, Black Sabbath pretty well with this.

I play Thrash Metal, specifically Metallica. I play all sort of other things. I've been playing for approx 9 months and it is a great pedal for all genres of Rock/Metal. If it was stolen I would probably not buy it again, I would spend a little extra to get a Boss pedal. I love how versatile and how completely customizable you can make it. I compared it to some other pedals at the music store and this was the best. I wish it had a sustain built in but what pedal does? Overall a great little pedal that I definitely suggest you buy.

I would definitely depend on this pedal in gigs and I would not have a backup for it(if you use 9v dc baterries I would bring an extra battery or two because this thing sucks batteries like you wouldn't believe. I use a One Spot 9v Dc power supply that works great. Plus the pedal is made of an all Metal durable steel casing. I believe it comes with a warranty for 5 years from the manufacturer.

Let me start by saying this pedal is absolutely amazing. It has more knobs and custom controls than you can shake a stick at. It has two post like controls that each have 2 adjustable knobs on it. There are 4 knobs to control the Low frequencies, mids, highs, and there is also a variable Mid scoop. There is also a gain knob that allows for a wide range of sounds, from classic rock to thrash Metal. It can give you thumping lows, soaring highs, and anytyhing from a little grit to a that Metallica-ish crunch. The manual was lacking, nothing more than a plastic card with the website and a few suggested settings. I love this pedal!

EpiExplorer
    ChucklesMginty wrote: If it was stolen I would probably not buy it again, I would spend a little extra to get a Boss pedal. I've heard sound clips of his thing and IMO it sound much better than any of the high-gain Boss pedals.
    farbeyondyonder
    Hi EpiExplorer, you are correct. I've had this pedal for several years now and I have never used it. For an "Extreme" metal pedal, the is a serious lack of gain (Running from brick). Everyone should just settle for a BOSS ML-2 as it has a better noise control with 3x as much distortion and truly delivers some great Killswitch Engage type chug.
    Kboth18
    I play Metallica from all eras, this thing is that versatile. I have just compared this to several boss pdals my friend has and i lied, this thing is awesome and i would definitely buy it again
    Kboth18
    It is a really great pedal, i definitely suggest buying it regardles off exp. level
    von gelb
    You can't say that without knowing someone's background. I've been playing guitar now for two years, but have been in bands for 20 years. This makes me think I know something about music and tone, but according to you I just started so I don't?
    ChucklesMginty
    EpiExplorer Hell nu. I've tried it once, the lack of highs just annoyed me. Needs more of an EQ. Any Boss pedal (ml-2 and so on) is so much more versitile.
    Personal preference I guess, I've never tried a Boss distortion I've liked. Especially the metal zone.. The ModTone has a huge EQ sweep though, so I'm surprised you'd say that.
    Shoji001
    TBH, most distortion pedals arnt great. nothing beats a good TUBE dstortion tone. ive learned my lesson, and saving up for a good Engl or Peavey 6505+, thats the biz!
    charles_ebarb
    mojosarmy wrote: No offense but I'm starting to think reviews of gear are useless without audio samples.... Thoughts?
    vennaco
    Definately.I always check out things I'm interested on youtube, but even there, the amount of idiots who do a review without playing through a clean tone first is astounding, thus making their review pretty worthless aswell.
    Moonspine
    ironman316 wrote: It took me 7 years to truly realize what kind of sound I needed... 6 years to realize I was in need of a tube amp, then another to realize I needed a much higher end amp with perfect distortion, and then get pedals later on, lol.
    Agreed. However, I think at least 70% of someone's tone is actually derived from their playing. And I'm not talking note choice. I'm talking proper picking technique, blah blah blah.
    H, Omitted
    I agree, because even youtube review vids can give us an idea of how the pedal sounds
    mojosarmy
    ironman316
    Guitarist350
    Anyone who has been playing for less than a year just should not post reviews on UG god damn it. They haven't had enough experience with basically anything music wise, so it is usually a waste of time and pointless to read such reviews.
    adj209
    achaneygtp wrote: I play Thrash Metal, specifically Metallica. should be 'i play thrash metal, specifically old Metallica.' haha this pedal sounds great.. I'm using a DF-7 Distortion factory.. mainly use the 6th mode which is a Boss metal masters.. i suggest you check it out
    Strictly speaking Thrash would be Kill'em all start till finish. Otherwise you want to look up to Megadeth or other members of the Big 4.
    Charlie4
    IMO Unmodded Boss pedals are tone-killers (I mean that in a bad way). Don't save up for a boss - $100? Rather save up to $140-$199 then you have a wide range of professional grade pedals to choose from. Haven't played with Modtone before but apparently they're great bang for the buck.
    ChucklesMginty
    achaneygtp
    I play Thrash Metal, specifically Metallica.
    jacobcustomam
    From my 35 years as a guitarist.....one with distortion obsession.....I can honestly claim that I have tried all of them...minus a couple I might've missed....I own 16 distortion pedals and I've probably spent a year or more of my life in Guitar Center, Sam Ash, the now defunct Daddys Junky Music and hundreds of Mom and Pop stores....so you can say I've really committed!! Anyway, I am an Engineer and design and build custom amps....can't really think of anyone that had clean channels...so I just received the MXR EVH 5150 Pedal....I've honestly got 13 amps now....but next to my loafing chair I have my Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18, run through an H&k 1x15....The amp itself is the balls....it's hi gain chan with the boost button engaged...I've got a pedal as well filled with whatever ones I feel like messing with....I also used my Marshall JCM800 thru a Marshall 4x12....I was amazed that other than sustain....the ModTone Extreme kicked it's ass....with 4 knobs, with 2 of them being concentric...2 knobs in one!!....you can tweak the he's and Lows on one and the Mid and Mid scoop...you can get a perfect Dual Rec sound and so much more...it's HONESTLY the best Face Melting, dick running up you abdomen for cover distortion pedal EVER....I can't understand you people that bash it with comments like 'it has terrible low's or Hi's'.....these people should have their ears professionally checked...soon!! I just can't believe that there's not a lot of big buzz around the internet.....You have my True opinion not just comparing to the EVH pedal but to all I've played with these last 35 years.....it is the only one that has my perfect tone I've been looking for.....I use a Peavey USA Wolfgang, a 96 Jackson USA Dinky...and an abundance of other axes.....MODTONE EXTREME BEST DISTORTION PEDAL at least up to 2016!!!!!