ShimVerb review by Mooer Audio

• Reviewer's score: 5.5 Decent
Mooer Audio: ShimVerb

Purchased from: Donnerdeal.com

The pedal is fairly straight forward, you select the reverb type you want by use of a mini toggle switch to select either Room, Spring or Shimmer reverb and then used the shared control knobs to tailor the sound to your mix. Three controls are Level (which is a dry wet mix) Color and Decay. The only one that isn't quite straight ahead is the Color knob as it doesn't act the same for each reverb. It is kind of like a tone control for the room setting. In Spring mode it seems to accentuate particular parts of the spring effect and somewhat brighten or darken. In shimmer mode the color effects the brightness of the shimmer overtone but not the reverb effect as much. Because of its functionality I found that it took a bit to dial that knob in and also that I liked the knob in different positions for each type of reverb. Also since I found I needed to adjust the color for each reverb setting it would have been nice to have that control knob be a little bigger.

To me this is unfortunately, the weakest part of the pedal. The pedal offers 3 reverbs - Room, Spring and Shimmer. The Room gives you a decent range of reverb with the decay knob and the sound is passable but certainly not spectacular. There seems to be an almost tinny overtone to the reverb, like someone is adding some steel drums into the background and there is really no way to get rid of that. By adjusting the color you can downplay it by darkening the sound but it makes everything too dark, also you if you reduce the decay then the overtone is less noticeable but so is the reverb. The Spring is in about the same boat, the sound itself isn't bad but it suffers from the tinny overtone in the same way the room does.

The Shimmer setting, which should be the highlight of the pedal, is the most dismal reverb option this pedal offers. Instead of a nice clear high octave overtone, you get what I believe is a 5th interval note. Doing some slow single notes I can get a few decent tones out of the shimmer, but you have to be careful because the 5th note doesn't always play well with the other notes in the run. As soon as you go into chord territory the shimmer is an absolute nightmare, it sounds like you are on the verge of feedback the whole time and the shimmer completely overtakes the chords and you lose all definition and clarity - just a big harsh, muddy mess. Adjusting the color helps somewhat with the problems, but on a shimmer setting you shouldn't have to adjust the pedal to cut out as much of the shimmer as possible.

The sound was overall cold, sterile, tinny and unpleasant.

The pedal is housed in a metal enclosure but the pedal is about 1/3rd the weight of my other mini pedals. I didn't have any issues with it during my time using it, but it didn't feel like an overly robust pedal in my hands. All the knobs worked ok, the mini knobs had dial markers on them so you can easily see where you have set them and they all seemed to operate fairly smoothly. The mini toggle switch is probably the most likely part to break, but the whole pedal feels a little "dinky" in my opinion.

A disappointing pedal that I wouldn't recommend to anyone. I had really high hopes for this pedal, and bought it after seeing and reading some good reviews but in person none of my expectations were met. The Room and Spring could be used, but where this pedal was supposed to shine - the Shimmer setting - was the worst feature of the pedal. This pedal is definitely not worth the price tag. There is now a pro version out that looks to maybe have improved on the pedal with more options for the shimmer overtone/interval/octave and also the ability to switch the shimmer on/off. I haven't had a chance to play or hear it, but if they haven't improved on sounds then I would pass on that one as well.