ShimVerb Pro Review

manufacturer: Mooer Audio date: 10/03/2015 category: Guitar Effects
Mooer Audio: ShimVerb Pro
It's my favourite pedal to mess around with, due to the sheer amount of ambient craziness you can pull out of this thing.
 Ease of Use: 8
 1,092
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
ShimVerb Pro Reviewed by: murtoll, on october 03, 2015

Price paid: A$ 150

Purchased from: AliExpress

Ease of Use: This section would get a 10 if it wasn't for the shimmer volume issue and the fact that while in preset mode the trails switch and octave up button can't be turned on or off, even though you can do that to the shimmer. I had to go online to find out how to adjust the volume of the shimmer, it wasn't even in the manual. This is particularly bad because the default volume of the shimmer is very low which can be confusing as it seems like the shimmer doesn't work. Other than that the pedal is labelled well and pretty self explanatory and I was able to figure it out without reading the manual. // 8

Sound: This pedal doesn't mess around. It offers a deceptively simple premise (reverb with shimmer), But with some sneaky knob-twiddling you can get some unexpected, pleasant surprises. Used as plain reverb it has settings for room, hall and church as well as plate and spring type reverbs, all of which sound excellent and can be tweaked to your heart's content. Unfortunately, the shimmer setting just sounds thin, weak and highly digital. I have struggled very hard just to find a setting that isn't god-awful.

Alongside the normal reverb sounds you can get out of this, with the dry signal cut and the decay set to a 12+ you can achieve spacey, underwater-sounding ambient tones that wash over you and swirl around like a plastic bag caught in an updraught. In this configuration the shimmer setting can actually sound quite nice, provided you can figure out how to adjust the volume of the shimmer (FYI: you need to hold the left footswitch and adjust the dry knob (what?)).

I mostly use this for subtle plate reverb on clean sounds and then the aforementioned ambient sounds (although I don't even use the shimmer anymore). You could do better in terms of shimmer/reverb (e.g.: Strymon Bigsky) but this pedal does the trick and the preset function allows you to switch between regular reverb and the ambient sounds without having to change any knobs. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This unit is built solid. I've had this and several other Mooer Audio pedals for 6 months and so far they've all held up without a single fault. The knobs are sturdy and solid, as are the footswitches. I haven't put it through much abuse yet, but it seems to me that this unit is built to last. One niggle I have is that there isn't a knob to control the volume of the shimmer. It came with sticky velcro in the box which was a nice touch. // 8

Overall Impression: I play many styles of music, but I primarily use clean sounds. I love the way the plate reverb sounds, not to say the other settings sound bad, but holy moly the plate reverb on this sucker GLISTENS. It's my favourite pedal to mess around with, due to the sheer amount of ambient craziness you can pull out of this thing (especially when used in conjunction with reverse tape delay) I've spent hours and hours just dialling in tones and letting notes ring out. I can't say it's perfect but it does what it does and what it does is pretty cool. // 9

Comments