SkyVerb Review

review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
SkyVerb Reviewed by: PedalFreak94, on january 13, 2015

Price paid: € 75

Purchased from: Thomann.de

Ease of Use: The ease of use on the Mooer Sky Verb is quite easy and doesn't require a lot of time to get familiar with. The 3 mode switches select the modes and from there you just need to dial in the tone you want. You may have to fiddle around with it for a couple of days, before you know what it can and will do. On my Sky Verb there weren't any markings on the buttons, and that made it really hard to see what your settings are. Especially when you're on stage and it's dark. On the new shipment Mooer Audio assured that there would be markings on the buttons. // 8

Sound: The sound of the Mooer Audio Sky Verb was very disappointing, in my opinion. Maybe my expectations were a little too high, but still it didn't fit me or my style of playing. As said earlier, this reverb would suit styles like surf and country. I used this reverb pedal with my Hiwatt Maxwatt top and cabinet plus my Tradition Stratocaster. The built-in reverb on my amp is better than the Sky Verb, but still not as good as the reverb on a Marshall amp/combo. The Sky Verb didn't suck out any of my tone, and I found that surprising. What could you really expect from a low-budget FX Pedal?! It is also not noisy, which is nice, compared to other brands of reverb. // 6

Reliability & Durability: When it comes to Mooer Audio Pedals I happen to own about 8 of them. I've never experienced any problems or issues with them; they have all worked very well from the day I got them. You may want to check the true-bypass switch, some may argue that they don't take much stepping on, but I've never experienced it. If Mooer Audio Pedals are kept at normal temperatures and humidity, plus kept on a pedalboard, with at case, these pedals could last a life time, and if not, the price isn't an issue. I would rely on these pedals, both for practicing and gigging. Though it might be an idea to have a back-up board with you, just in case. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall I was actually very disappointed with this pedal. From what I read online, heard and tried with this pedal, I couldn't really get the tone and amount of reverb I needed. I want a reverb that really creates some roomy and spacey sounds, like for example the built-in reverb in a Marshall Combo - that's great reverb and it fits my style of playing fantastic. Mostly I play rock and ballads, therefore I often play solos, riffs and fills - in those situations I really need a reverb that can create the overall atmosphere and make my playing stand out. The Sky Verb isn't made for that, in my opinion it's better suited for surf music, country and styles like that. The 3 modes of reverb; Studio, Church and Plate seems and feels too dull and dark, though, the Church mode can be good when set right. Compared to reverbs at another price range, like the Boss RE-20 and TC Hall of Fame, it's clear that there're several differences, but when being on a low budget the Mooer Audio brand, overall speaking, is good and make some solid low budget guitar effects. Don't get me wrong, for the price this reverb is good and solid - for my taste it just wasn't the greatest deal. // 6

Comments