Spark Delay Review

manufacturer: Mooer Audio date: 08/29/2016 category: Guitar Effects
Mooer Audio: Spark Delay
An analog delay with a very small footprint. The delay itself sounds perfect, dark and smooth.
 Ease of Use: 9
 6.4
 5.8
review (1) pictures (3) user comments vote for this gear:
Spark Delay Reviewed by: bass.desires, on august 29, 2016

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: Simple to use. Basic delay controls. All the knobs are backlit by the blue led and it looks quite nice. Level adjusts the audible level of the delay repeats. The vintage button adds a vibrato/tremolo/chorus effect to the delay sounds that speeds up or slows down based on the delay time. I personally hated it with a passion. I can't imagine anyone hearing it and thinking "This is it! I found my tone!" Feedback knob gives you a number of repeats. Basic stuff. There is NO battery compartment so make sure you have a 9v power adapter. I attempted to tweak the controls to fix the tone-suck but was unsuccessful. // 9

Sound: An analog delay with a very small footprint. It looked like it would fit my desire for an analog delay to compliment my EHX Memory Man with Hazarai for ambient passages as well as having a smoother darker delay than the Memory Man provides. The delay itself sounds perfect, dark and smooth. Very little crispness to the delay sounds. You can get up to 500ms on this and that is all. I have plenty long delays on the memory man so this isn't an issue with me. I have a major issue with this pedal I will cover in a second. I am running this from a humbucker equipped guitar through a transparent overdrive through some true bypass pedals and out the other side through the Memory man and a reverb. The vintage button is something that I cannot for the life of me understand. I thought it would give a different kind of "lo-fi" tone but it was this tremo-vibro sound that has a place in black and white '50s horror movies but far, far away from me and my sound. I doubt I will ever use this button. The other buttons are nicely back-lit and were easy to adjust. Now to the "you are the father" moment.The tone, this pedal just kills the tone of your guitar when engaged. I understood it to be a vintage delay effect to your original signal, but the same dark, smooth tone of the delay is what happens to your original signal. Doesn't do this direct from pedal to amp, but if I put anything, and I mean anything in front of it, even if there is a buffer, it kills the tone. I am unsure if this is a defective unit, but this is not the sound I am looking for in a delay. // 3

Reliability & Durability: The pedal itself looks quite durable. The housing is solid and the switch is seems like it would hold up for quite some time. I like how the face lights up when it is engaged. The jacks are also of a seemingly durable quality and the small knobs are good but I am not sure how long they would last. If not for the tone killing I would love this little guy. I would buy more so I can shrink the size of the board. I'm a huge fan of smaller the better. (Please, no white guy jokes.) The pedal came with a custom cut velcro bottom piece that was prefect for my board, if only it was going to stay there. Great white finish that seems bulletproof. // 8

Overall Impression: I threw this on my pedalboard hoping for a great little delay to kick in on light parts or as a double for my Memory Man, but was very disappointed in it's execution. I posted on the UG forums searching for an answer to its horrible tone-suck, but didn't find a solution. Check the forums if you wish to know all the methods tried. I plan on selling or giving this pedal out to someone else. I love the size, shape, look, but I have to be able to use the pedal. I know there is a possibility I have a defective unit, but buying second hand I didn't even bother trying to exchange or return it. The other spark pedals may be awesome, just not this one I got. If it were stolen, I would shrug, and hope the other guy liked it more than I did. // 3

Comments