MF-107 FreqBox review by Moog

• Users' score: 10 (1 vote)
Moog: MF-107 FreqBox

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend.com

Very unique sound. A lot of fun to mess with. Though it's not something I think I'd use much on stage, it will be good for adding colors to recordings. This is not to say in small amounts and can add cool effects to solos and chord progressions. Very original effect.

I play blues rock, like hendrix, cream, robin trower, and I've been looking to find a sound that steps away from straight up blues rock. I also like Pink Floyd like darkside of the moon and in that same way, adding this to a Vintage sound, will send into a future that '60s and '70s generations believed in. If it were lost or stolen, I would get another. The sound is very unique and I sent my cheap synth through it and the sound was out of this world. So unless you're the kind of person who won't bother messing with pedals or reading manuals, it's awesome.

The pedal itself is built pretty well. It's not like my Fuzz Face which is basically a bomb shell, but it's durable. Unless you plan on jumping and down on stage and you come close to landing on it, even then, it'll probly hold up. I would trust it during a gig with no backup. It has lasted for several months and it's great.

Very fun to mess around with, but difficult to understand what you're doing. If you play with it enough you can get a good idea how the knobs work. The drive and output level are straight foward. The VCO freq and waveform knobs are to change the speed and shape of the vco which is and effect in it's own. The waveform can be set to a triangle, sawtooth, square, and a small pulsing effect. The sync switch syncs the VCO with the input signal. The other section has Env amount, FM amount, and mix. The Envelope amount modulates the frequency of the envelope filter. The FM amount is the frequency modulation on the sound. and the mix controls the blend of the dry signal and the effect sound. Overall, I messed with it until I got the hang of it, so if you want to understand it, you will figure it out.

scarfacesuit
    I've always wanted one. I dream of being in a modern rock band that utilizes one of these things effectively, because they deserve to be up there with the Crybaby.
    guy_tebache
    The Moog effects have quite a few short comings- mainly that they're hard to use and they're expensive- but having played around with the freqbox, the MuRF, and the low pass filter, they are well worth the money and the hassle. Now I only need some of my own
    satanarchist
    moog rules! the keyboardist in steppenwolf uses a big moog setup, and it sounds amazing. i think the guitarist does as well cuz i don't know what else he would use to get his tone
    MinstrelCycle85
    Damnit... I was gonna ask if anyone knew where I could get a waveform-envelope filter other than on this device... but the more I'm thinking about it, the only other one I've seen, was a cheap piece of crap. Guess I may have to save up for some moog-age.
    Dimarzio45
    A video would really help to describe the moog. So here it is! This dude kinda beats around the bush. But, it's only 4 min long. Gives you kind of an idea of what's goin on.