Classic Wah review by Morley

• Reviewer's score: 3.8 Poor
Morley: Classic Wah

Purchased from: ebay

I run an Ibanez AX120 with DiMarzio Evolution humbuckers. My pedal chain goes guitar > UP100 Phase Shifter > Boss Metal Zone > DOD 7band EQ > Zoom 1010 > solid state acoustic bass head with a 4x10 cab (yes it is a weird setup but sounds amazing). I have tried the Wah pedal both pre-distortion and post and in both cases the Wah is extremely trebly (even for a Morley), even after adjusting the internal optics which did help it was still to much high end. Also the bass response was equal to a volume pedal turned down to almost silent, I had to replace capacitors with different values to fix this as a Wah pedal is no good if your sound vanishes in the heal down position. Completely unacceptable!

I have been playing professionally since 1992 and in that time I have played many styles of music from rock to blues to jazz, folk to funk... My main band right now is a thrash/power metal group. I am not impressed with this Wah pedal in any way. According to Morley's webpage it is supposed to reproduce the sound of the 70's and 80's Morley Wah pedals... All I can say about that is EPIC FAIL. I used to own a 1983 Morley and was hoping it would bring back that sound to my gear, man was I let down. I am still trying to modify the circuit to make it sound the way the old school ones sounded and that is the only reason I keep the thing.. Right now the most use it gets is a paper weight to hold down my sheet music. I would like to add in closing that every other Morley Wah I have owned was amazing, there is a chance this pedal is defective, but I think it is just built on the cheep so Morley would have a product on the market to compete with other cheep pedals. Next time I am just going to fork out the cash for a Vintage Morley or I will get the Steve Vai model anything but the CLW.

Built like a tank! The only redeeming thing about the pedal is its Durability.

Turn it on and Wah Wah Wah all the way home. Err, that's what should happen. I had to open mine up and adjust it before it worked. However thanks to the good people at Morley for putting a pdf on there web page with instructions on how to open it up and adjust the internal optics. I eventually had to mod with different capacitors to increase the bass response so the thing was usable. Not the sorta thing most people would be able to do therefor this pedal which should be super easy to use gets a low score on ease of use.

Woollyfuller
    I brought one of these when my Crybaby was stolen - wanted something different to the CB... Wasted my money, this is more like a volume pedal than a decent wah, plus the switch on the side of the pedal is the most annoying thing ever, a bugger to turn on whilst playing. I can't wait to sell it and buy a Cry Baby again!
    fridolinrehle
    hello! can anybody help me? I got a very old Morley Power Wah Fuzz, Model PWF. The wah effect works, but not the fuzz effect. Somebody changed two of the four transistors, maybe they are wrong, so I need a scematic diagram. If you got it, would you please mail it to me? my mail adress is Frehle@aol.com thanks a lot!