Power Wah review by Morley

Morley: Power Wah

Purchased from: JB Music Philippines

Just step on the switch and you're ready to rock. You don't need a manual for this thing. The sound you get out of a wah pedal depends on YOU as a guitar player, it's all about timing, knowing when to "toe down" or "heel down" when you play a lick/riff is the key. You can also use it as a filter for a lofi-ish sound. Great pedal overall, the best in its price range! STEP ON IT!!! There aren't a lot of wah pedal choices here in the Philippines (Dunlop, Vox, Behringer, Morley are the only brands you'll see in music stores), but this definitely is the best out there in the "NON-SIGNATURE" wah category.

It suits my style pretty well as a guitarist, I play all kinds of stuff. All sub genres of rock, reggae, and occasional pop tunes. I use it with a number of effects, for solos I turn on a Little Big Muff or a DigiTech Death Metal after the wah, and s very short delay setting on my Ibanez DE7. For some rhythm playing I put on my Boss CE5 after the wah for some funky and reggae-esque tunes.

On a clean channel there shouldn't be any unwanted noise. But with high gain distortion it creates a hum(what do you expect?), that's the purpose of noise cancelling pedals which I also have on my rig. For alternative/rock soloing, I turn the boost off on the wah, but for heavier stuff I crank the boost all the way up to make sure my solos cut through the mix.

It is built like a tank! It has been on my rig for 3 years and it is still in perfect condish. I expect this pedal to be on my rig for the long haul. I've stepped on it in all of my gigs and it has not failed me and I do not bring any back ups to any of my gear during live settings. It is made of sturdy metal, I could stand on it and it won't break. The switch is solid the battery compartment is easy to access, plus a led to know when it is turned on or when it is turned off.

My band's focus is mainly writing original material, but my influences as a guitarist cover almost all sub genres of rock. I do a little bit of everything (from bluesy licks of SRV, Hendrix, and Mayer on the neck pup. Some Dimebag and Hammett licks thanks to Andy James! Funk rock riffing of Morello and Frusciante on the bridge pup. Some psychedelic effects from Einziger and Lopez, some heavy Stephen Carpenter-esque riffs, some Tom DeLonge like punk chord progs, and even some pop tunes from Mars and Mraz). It does not fit all the genres I mentioned, but whenever I give the audience a face-melter, this wah is always ON! Whether it's a clean or distorted solo. The swicth is easily accessible, you can use it as a filter(leaving the wah in a certain position on the sweep) for power chords and stuff. I compared it to CryBaby and Vox wahs and it sounds just as good, if not better, plus no parts will wear out since this is an optical wah. If it gets lost or stolen, I'll get another Morley, a Bad Horsie 2 or the Morley Mini Power/Volume Wah on a tight budget. The only thing I don't like about Morley wahs is the pedal foot print, these pedals take a lot of pedal board estate, which may be the reason why the have the mini versions now.