VAI2 Bad Horsie 2 Contour Wah review by Morley

Morley: VAI2 Bad Horsie 2 Contour Wah

My basic setup is a Fender modified Deluxe Player's Strat - Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff - Morley Bad Horise 2 - and lastly, a '72 Fender Champ. The wah itself is not noisy but when coupled with the Metal Muff humming comes from my amp. I attribute this hum, not to the Bad Horsie 2, but to the age of the amp and the level of distortion coming from the Metal Muff. When a noise gate is paired with the other pedals I do not have this problem. I am willing to put up with the hum because the two pedals sound GREAT together! I like to slightly put the Champ into Overdrive and crank the Metal Muff up to produce a nice, slightly chunky tone. Then I use the Morley to push the amp over the top and I get great results! I am really happy with the sound the wah produces with distortion (a la Lamb Of God's Walk With Me in Hell solo). Conversely, when I play the wah through the Champ clean, I get a great funk sound a la James Brown's "Big Payback." The wah produces an incredibly solid tone and I am extremely satisfied.

I like to play a bit of everything, but primarily hard rock. I find this pedal to be a good match with hard rock, clean funk, and much heavier styles of music. I have been playing in earnest for about three and a half years now. But my dad has been playing for 20+ years and he loves the Bad Horise 2 as well. I have run it through an Ibanez semi-hollow archtop, it sounded great; I have run it through an American 60th Anniversary Start, it sounded great; I have run it through a MIM 60th Anniversary Strat, it sounded great. This is just a solid pedal that has nice tone with both single coils and humbuckers. If this pedal was lost or stolen I would purchase another without hesitation; then I would bash the guys head in Who stole my old one. I am very impressed with Morley's quality and fond this pedal to be superior to Dunlop's Cry Baby (which is a tone sucker). The only reason I would purchase a Cry Baby would be if I never turned my wah off. Other than that, why but an inferior product when I can buy a Morley?

Can I depend on it? The thing is built like a tank! I am not rough on my pedals my any means, but I do push them hard and the Bad Horsie 2 had held up very well. I would feel confident using this pedal at a gig without backup but Murphy's Law seems to plague gigs, so I would possibly bring a backup, just in case. If I did bring a backup it would definitely be another Bad Horsie 2.

What's easier than stepping on a wah to engage it? The Bad Horsie is great because if you want a wah tone, you step on the wah and when you're done, you step off the wah. A red led comes on to show when the wah is engaged and another led comes on to show when contour mode (more on this later) is engaged. Basically, Morley made this product fool-proof. If you are unsatisfied with the stock wah tone, you can sculpt your own tone in contour mode. Contour mode is a great addition to an already outstanding pedal; it takes the wah from a mellow moan to a raging scream. I love it. Morley sent a rather thick manual with the wah that encompasses all of their products. Inside of the manual maybe a page is dedicated to the wah, but it tells you everything you need to know.

sergiotall
    The classic Vox wah can't survive when used with a distortion pedal; I know that cos I have one - used it with my Digitech Metal Master and u coudln't hear it.Could this one take an attack of the Metal Master without changing the tone and still keeps a good wah effect.
    gabollo
    I don't have the Metal Master but the Bad Horsie sounds really great before my Boss MT-2 or the effects and distortions from my digitech pedal board. It keeps the guitar and effects tone and it's my favorite wah effect. It really works for me, so I think it will survive the Metal Master without any complain...