VAI2 Bad Horsie 2 Contour Wah review by Morley

Morley: VAI2 Bad Horsie 2 Contour Wah

I am currently using this pedal through this setup: Line 6 Spider III 120V --- Bad Horsie 2 --- PS-5 Super Shifter --- EVH Flanger. The bypass of the Bad Horsie 2 wah is crystal clear quiet. You don't even hear a single hiss or hum or any feedback. This pedal weighs close enough to maybe 5 pounds or a little less, but it's certainly the heaviest pedal I've used. The only thing that I find on the downside, is that once you take your foot off the pedal, the wah takes about 1 second to turn off. So, if you had just finished a lick or solo, you would have a thick filter sound in your rhythm riffs for a second only. Other than that, it's a great pedal. If you just play the pedal without the "contour" being on, you can get a great wah effect, or in this case, a Steve Vai effect. If you dial in the two knobs just right, you can get a "Kirk Hammett" effect, or even a "Buckethead" effect. If you have both knobs turned all the way up, you get this real crazy scratchy wah effect, almost like an angry cat being ran over by a bus, which is really awesome for "Buckethead" type solos. If you also adjust the knobs, you can come close to a Hendrix wah effect. I've been using this wah pedal for "Avenged Sevenfold (Bromptom Cocktail)," Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Van Halen, and sometimes with Slipknot songs. This pedal is perfect for any kind of music genre. The effects on this pedal are always amazing and have a great kick to them too.

I use this wah pedal through Metal, 80s rock/metal, rock, and a whole variety of music. I've been playing this pedal for about 2 months now, and I haven't stopped using it. I'll keep this in my setup forever. I didn't even try this pedal at Guitar Center, I just heard a lot about this pedal, saw some demonstrations on YouTube, and I just bought it. It was well worth the $179.99, expensive, but worth every penny. If this were stolen, I'd be ticked, but I'd go out and buy a new one. The thing I really love about this pedal is it's sound I can get out of it, without effecting my tone at all, and I love how I don't have to make sure I pushed a button to see if it's on. Just step on it and shred, and take my foot off, and it's off. My favorite feature on this wah is the contour effect button, I get such a great scratchy wah effect when it's on. I compared this to my other wah pedal: Zakk Wylde Wah. The Zakk Wylde Wah didn't express all the notes above the 12th fret, it just treated them with a filter effect, and I couldn't get my solos to sound like Zakk Wylde. With the Bad Horsie 2, I can get basically any artists' sound for a lead or solo.

I can highly depend on this pedal, because I know how Steve Vai wanted to build a perfect pedal, and he perfected that. I would definently use this in a gig without a backup, since I know this wah won't break easily. I highly recommend this pedal if you're looking for a great solo effect or even for a rhythm effect, because it's certainly the best pedal I've ever used.

Let me just start out by saying this is the best wah pedal I've ever used or played with. After trying a variety of wah pedals, I could never get the sound I wanted. Then, I discovered the Bad Horsie 2 Contour Wah Pedal. This pedal gives me the right kick or bite no matter what. The pedal has two knobs on the left of the foot pedal, "Contour" and "Volume." Then there are 3 plugins: 9v adapter plugin, Output, and Input. There is also a 9V battery chamber underneath the pedal, but it will require a screwdriver to get it opened. Then there is a stomp button under the two knobs, which will turn on the contour. Even though the contour light is on, the wah pedal isn't on, so you won't have a filter effect going on. The cool thing about this pedal is that once you move the foot rest, the wah is automatically on. As soon as your foot goes off, the wah pedal springs back to "heel down" position and goes off into bypass mode. There is no manual that comes with this pedal, but the pedal is pretty much self explanitory.

[travis]
    duzit89
    [travis] wrote: sergiotall wrote: The classic Vox wah can't survive when used with a distortion pedal; I know that cos I have one - used it with my Digitech Metal Master and u coudln't hear it.Could this one take an attack of the Metal Master without changing the tone and still keeps a good wah effect. I don't know much about VOXs but have you tried playing your pedal through a clean channel, or without treble or mid?? The wah won't effect your tone at all, it'll make it sound much better.
    what he said.. using a distortion pedal on a clean channel.. and make sure the Vox is the first thing your guitar goes through