VAI2 Bad Horsie 2 Contour Wah review by Morley

Morley: VAI2 Bad Horsie 2 Contour Wah

My Wah of choice. I had the 1st model for years and got this II model the last time I redid and updated my board. I love the no moving parts and opto circuit Morely uses, really cool, no pot to wear out or get grainy. I use it before gains. AND most imporantly this is a 300mA current drain pedal, do not daisy chain it or give a typical 100mA feed from a common brick or adaptor, MISTAKE. Give it a custom filtered isolated 9v 300mA supply and it rules. All the bad vids and weird hum and crap on YouTube is from kids not using the proper current level. With all wahs you have that hard press to the front to turn it on and off, which can pop or cause you to lose you timing part in a tune. Touch this and you are in a Wah let ot go and it's off, seemless and noiseless. Also cool effects stomping on the Wah with timing like Vai does on some tunes, cannot do that with a stomp wah.

I dig this Wah and vai designed a really good buffer amp by=[ass circuit in it which holds your tone and can Drive long cables which I do not use. All true by-pass is a myth, yes everything should have it but you need at lease one good buffer amp circuit in your chain to sustain your signal quality and loading. I dig this wah. Some hate Morely's and go with the various Crybaby models. I had a reissue Vox muself as I am a Hendrix, Trower man. They wear out and the thoughts of spending all that on a Fulltone for the pot to wear out makes me cry. I am staying with Morely until I can afford to buy and toss Fulltone wahs (not likely). It's a great wah, good price and none of the usual problems with pot wahs. Ignore the bad YT vids hook it up right and power it correctly and it sounds great. Vai is no idiot and it's on his board.

I like Morely and when I first got this pedal I was an idiot and did not bother to read the manual or the label on the bottom. I just assumed it was a normal <100mA draw pedal, I WAS SOOOOOOo wrong! I started having problems with the tone cutting out and not wahing properly. I was calling Morely and complaining. I sent it in for an eval and checkout and they could not find anything wrong. I realized at the time it was supposed to get a huge 300mA current, I ordered a Morely 300 wart for it while Morely had it and after dying of embarassment it has been cool ever sense! I had a model 1 for years and never had an issue, I have worn out a lot of wahs in my day, this one w no moving pot is major coolness!

Easier to use than most wahs, and that is pretty simple. No on switch, step on it and auto-on, let it go and off. You can adjust the delay internally but I have never needed to. Control controls are a centering control for the main notch of the Wah and a volume which works in the contour mode to increase or cut the level. Contour is cool because you can change the voice of the Wah or reduce it down for clean if it is too much. Also works to give a Wah gain boost.

ITheFight
    I've used this wah for about seven + years and I really liked it. The fact that you can Just step and go is awesome, led is a cool feature too. Awesome for solos bcs of the buffer adding additional gain. but once you really start trying out other high name pedal's like Fulltone or Buda you'll notice that the Morley sucks tone like crazy. At the end of the day I went with Fulltone clyde. I will say it's hard to re-train your self back to a push/push style wah.