DropTune review by Morpheus

Morpheus: DropTune

Purchased from: Musicansfriend

My setup is Gibson SG Standard and Fender American Stratocaster into a Fender Blues Deluxe Amp. I got the pedal to cover some songs that are half step and full step down. This is the only Polyphonic pitch changing pedal I know of. Polyphonic means it will track full chords not just one note. It does a great job, it is very difficult to notice but it does have a slight delay. After about an hour I was compensating for it with no problem. Like I said I got this pedal for Eb and Drop C tuning which are common in today's music. It does a great job, and has very little effect on your tone. It is certainly useable in a live setting; any coloring is lost in the mix. In a studio I would still use a guitar with the correct tuning. One downfall is it gets much worse the more you change the pitch. At three steps down it becomes unusable in my opinion. But I only got it for a one step and for that it sounds great. Now I can play Godsmack and go right into Pearl Jam with the same guitar and have the correct tuning. Also this has a true hardware bypass so it has no effect on your tone when it is not in use.

I love the pedal and would buy it again. I can now play anything I hear with a standard tuned guitar. And for and whole step it sounds almost transparent. I wouldn't buy this if your plan is to play anything lower exclusively. If you play on playing Korn and Slipknot you would be better off just setting your guitar up for those tunings. Plus this is the first version I am sure in a few years they will release another that fixes the little things that are not perfect. But until then I am happy with this model, and by buying the first model it funds research and production of future upgrades.

It has a two year warranty from the company. It seems put together well. It is all metal construction, with the old fashion metal toggle switches. I comes with a cheap power supply which is 500ma 12v. I wish they would have kept it 9v under 200ma so I could use my power supply. Also you can upgrade the firmware via mini USB. It was simple and only took about 5 minutes.

Morpheus DropTune Guitar Polyphonic Pitch-dropping Pedal Features: -Polyphonic pitch-dropping effects pedal -Drop tune up to 3-1/2 steps in 1/2-step decrements -Full octave drop and octaver -Latching Effect On/Off switch -Momentary Down and Toggle/Up switches -Bright backlit Drop Tune, Octave, Octaver, Toggle, and Effect indicators -Rear panel Input Level control with front panel LED level display -In, Out, and power supply jacks (power supply comes included) -Rugged cast-metal chassis

new_age_reject
    SilverSpurs616 wrote: I've been wondering if there was something like this available, I'm itching to play some Shadows Fall in drop C or even just some drop D Trivium stuff on my RG350. Tuning down pisses me off
    This wont do just drop D. It simulates dropping all the strings. Don't be lazy, just drop your E, takes 2 seconds! But for drop C, go for it.
    benx3000
    Really wanted to try this pedal. Would be a damn good thing for me, im always tuning down to drop d then standard then flat. Really annoying. Wouldnt really use it to go down like rediculously low lol
    hardrocker64
    Its a pretty cool pedal. It maybe a little hit and miss when you tune way down but hell I have an RP250 and other pedals and like playing with tones. Works great with my schecter stuck in drop D with a flyd rose. I plugged in and HellYeah sounded great in drop A but Chevelle in drop B not so good. Keepin mine!
    vIsIbleNoIsE
    at first i thought i could get one to make jamming easier with my standard E buddies (i have a floyd rose guitar in standard D and i've been using a capo), but i don't think the price justifies that use
    IbanezIceman09
    Personally I do not mind re-tuning my guitar but when your gigging it can be an issue. This is definitely worth the money. It is great down to drop C. Anything below that gets muddy. This is made for gigging not recording. No need to have multiple guitars set up to play songs in different tunings. Highly recommend this.
    SilverSpurs616
    spitonastranger
    LordChrix wrote: can you simulate a 12 string?
    if you want a good twelve string simulator, then get a pog
    r0ckth3d34n
    I've really been curious about this pedal. It's great that this technology is available. It can only improve from here on out..
    EpiExplorer
    eyebanez333
    jamesr wrote: This pedal really shines for people that want to use it for flat tuning or one step down for the popular drop-c tuning. Also just for some songs, I would not recommened it for every song. If all your band plays is drop-c, then I would just restring and tune down your guitar.
    +1 I thought it did well for dropping a semitone...even a couple semitones. Anything lower than that sounded bad to me. Fake, muddy and delayed.
    jamesr
    jamesr
    Like I mentioned in my review I would not push the limits of this pedal, because the lower you go the worse it sounds. If you and to play a very low tuning get a 7 string. LordChrix - you can get a 12 sound from the octive setting, but IMO it doesn't sound useable for chords.
    deafening
    Zhuriel wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: So, technically speaking, I could play Meshuggah with a six string...? I so gotta get this some time.. No, Meshuggah play 8-strings in F, this pedal only goes down 7 half steps, you need 9. Also, you might not have enough range because you're lacking strings. And the tuning would be wrong because of the b/e strings.
    he could just tune lower to begin with and alternate his tuning to be more suited for a meshugga song
    EpiExplorer
    Pffft, I'm still gonna buy it, maybe
    Zhuriel
    DerekRenfroe
    I have one, and it really sounds great! The only thing is that it can get a bit confusing when you're are practice volumes!