DropTune review by Morpheus

Morpheus: DropTune

Purchased from: Amazon.com

My setup is an Ibanez RG350EX through a Mesa Dual Rectifier, and I play mostly metal from Within the Ruins (whom I urge all metal lovers to listen too), who use drop G# tuning to Alter Bridge, and lighter bands. On distortion, this pedal nails all of the tunings, but once you go past drop-B the gain on the amp is lowered. At first I was dissapointed, but then I use a Marshall Jackhammer Overdrive, which I had laying around, and used it to boost the gain, and the pedal sounded AMAZING. I would say it sounded like a normal guitar at a low tuning, even better. You can even get those amazing Killswitch Engage pinch harmonics in drop G. My band is going to a Studio soon, and the quality is so good, I will be using it too record with (we use drop A tuning). When doing dive bombs, the pedal tracks perfectly and doesn't break up, even at the low tunings. On the clean side, this pedal sounds great, but too a very trained ear, some notes in the lower side (like drop G) sound slightly artificial. Overall the sound is amazing, but you may have to use an Overdrive pedal to return some of the gain.

My overall impression is that this is an amazing pedal. As I have said, it nails those low tunings for Suicide Silence, Within the Ruins, Job for a Cowboy, and sounds equally good for higher tunings for Alter Bridge, Killswitch Engage, and Parkway Drive. I play mostly melodic metal, I have been playing for 2 years and it is great. It doesn't effect the tone and doesn't make it muddy. If it wasd lost or stolen, I would buy it again immediately. The only thing that you may need to fiddle with is the trim. I set the level so that the yellow lights showed rarely, but it produced a bit of buzzing, so I turned it so the red lights show, and it is fine. This is nothing a noise suppressor won't fix though.

This pedal is built great. I haven't had it for a while but I think it is built like a tank. I would absolutely use it without backup and it is very dependable. The pedal feels like it could not be broken, even if something heavy fell on it.

This pedal is a very easy pedal to use, and it doesn't take too much time to get used to it. The only thing that would be useful, which I did, was to put it tape what the tunings actually were instead of the number of halfsteps. The manual isn't very necessary, as the pedal is pretty simple, but it does explain how to use it nicely.