DropTune review by Morpheus

Morpheus: DropTune

Purchased from: GAK

I have an ltd H401FM which goes into the Morpheus then into the input of my Roland Cube 30. I play anything from Satriani, Vai, Andy James, Trivium, Dream Theater, Killswitch Engage to Rage Against The Machine. The pedal sounds excellent. Make sure you turn up the volume enough to drown out the sound of your guitar acoustically; otherwise you'll get some pretty dissonant harmonies. When you engage the pedal the signal seems to have slightly less gain. Also as you drop down the tunings you lose some high end and midrange, this makes pinch harmonics a little tougher; however with some EQ and gain settings ready you can easily offset this effect. The trim pot if you plug your guitar straight into the Morpheus you should be able to have the DropTune output on full otherwise there will be some noise. If you put any stomp-boxes before the Morpheus then you will have to watch the clipping as the output of other pedals can cause the DropTune to go well into the red. I have also tried the Morpheus running in the effects loop of my Boss GT-8 and it does a brilliant job. You can even set the patch so that the control pedal turns on the Morpheus plus alters EQ and gain settings accordingly in one hit. The bass sounds pretty good listen to my Mp3 of drowned and torn asunder. I recorded the bass guitar with the Morpheus. They're definitely usable. The added bonus of the octave is great especially if you want to play some Satriani solos, just add some fuzz.

I bought this pedal because I've always wanted a 7 string but can't afford one and don't know which one to get. I was sceptical about the Morpheus Droptune, it is a one of a kind pedal, the first ever polyphonic pitch shifter I could not have imagined it being so good. I feel satisfied with just one guitar and drop tuning it to whatever I need, using the Morpheus. I would try the DropTune for studio recording. I think with the right mixing and mastering etc you can get whatever sound you need. The unit is well worth the money. In fact I paid more when I bought than what it retails for now... And I would pay it again!

The Morpheus is a little brick of solid! I would definitely gig with it and wouldn't worry a thing. The metal chassis is sturdy, The buttons have a positive quality response to them, whilst also feeling like they could take some hits. In general the unit is very well built, and is definitely here for the long haul! My only criticism is that the supplied power adapter seems a little cheap.

Rear panel: Input plug your guitar in Output plug your amp in Mains input plug supplied plug in USB update firmware Trim pot set the level to prevent clipping (gauged by green, amber, and red lights) 3 buttons: Down reduces pitch when pedal is engaged or disengaged Up Raises pitch when pedal is disengaged acts as momentary toggle Switch when pedal is engaged On/off turns the pedal on or off. It doesn't get much simpler than that really! There is a manual but you don't need it. This thing is built to have fun with right out of the box. Firmware updates are available and very easy to run with the on screen step by step instructions.

radu123
    How do you guys think this would handle with a modelling amp? I'm using a VOX VT50, I'm worried the tone would suck through the pedal
    Scotty Gold
    My guitar player got this pedal and it meant that when we went from one song to another and they were in different tunings, I would be the one holding the show back by tuning or switching basses. I got the pedal and am very happy I did. Playing 1 or 2 steps down is perfect. I have to lose some bottom end on 3 steps and on the forth, I can't play an open E because it sounds like mud. So, if you're a bass player and skeptical about getting the pedal, I would recommend it. I use it for all kinds of music and the crowd can't tell other than we flow smoothly from one song to another.
    Ultraussie
    Does this work for bass? I only have one bass ATM and moss of te the bands I listen to downtune My lowest guitar only goes to Drop A so yer, Fuckining djent out on this thing ahha