Tube Squealer Review

manufacturer: Morrison Audio Equipment date: 12/08/2007 category: Guitar Effects
Morrison Audio Equipment: Tube Squealer
The Tube Squealer is a fantastic pedal built for a great distortion sound whilst retaining the killer tones you need to cut lead breaks with clarity. Ideal for the guitarist who likes a clean sound without a heap of distortion over powering what is being played.
 Ease of Use: 8
 7.2
 7.3
review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
Tube Squealer Reviewed by: henza_x, on december 08, 2007

Purchased from: Ebay

Ease of Use: It's pretty easy to use. It is based on the tube Screamer, and has a level, tone and Drive knob. It has a button in the middle to turn on/off and a bright blue LED which indicates that it is on. Doesn't come with a manual or anything, but it's pretty basic to use. It has an input, an output and a slow to put in the 9V adaptor. // 8

Sound: I've tried this on both a solid state amp and a tube amp and it's very decent for both. The drive however, doesn't get as heavy as I want. While it is suitable for a bluesy, pop, jazz boost, it really isn't an OD pedal, like the Tube Screamer. With all the knobs on 10 (and a lot of reverb), I get an Eric Johnson Cliffs of Dover sound. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I opened it up to see the electronics and was suprised at how simple it all is. The case itself is metal, you can probably run this baby over and all that'll happen is it'll switch on and the knobs will fall off. The knobs on this particular unit weren't particularly on tight and the drive knob easily falls on and off. The 9V battery it runs on is held in place by some cardboard. If I was doing a poprock sorta gig, then I would use it, no backup required. // 9

Overall Impression: I was impressed at the professionalism in the pedal (minus the cardboard holding the battery) but I have a power supply for it anyway. It doesn't suit the metal style I want to go with, but it works well as a boost for a solo during a rock song. Very good for cleans, not very good with distortion. Morrison is a company in Hobart, Australia that handmakes these babies for a lot of local bands. I thought I'd try this. What I love about is the boost it gives on my SS amp and on my VJ. What I don't is that it isn't heavy enough for me, and there were no reviews to tell me this was suited for blues, rock, jazz, like RHCP tone. What I do like about it is the fact that it's cheap, good for cleans, and the warranty just in case anything is damaged. // 7

Comments